+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    if the parents chose a religious school...then, they have to follow the rules of that school and if that means RE then so be it. Just like private schools with strict uniform policies etc...you know all of that when you sign up.

Public school is different as it is not supposed to be a religious school...it is supposed to be non secular.
    I totally disagree with that logic - just because the Catholic Church have so much money, does not mean they should have the right to forcefully indoctrinate any student who attends. What if its the only good school in an area? I went to a Christian private school not because it was Christian but because it was the only private school in my area. Religion had nothing to do with why we went to that school - my parents are atheists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    I did RE in year 12 and it was compulsary, fine as an elective, but compulsary? It didn't help anyone with studies, the sole purpose of being at school, in year 12 is to get a mark you can use for uni. RE gives you no mark towards your end score and took time away from studying. It shouldn't be compulsary, so what if its private, there aren't many public school options. There are alot of catholic schools with money though, so kids go with no choice or desire to learn religion.
    This was something we protested at school all the time.

Art and Sport is vital for childrens developement, neither are compulsary past year 9 if you won't use it in your career. Religion? Children don't need it, parents want it, but the kids don't need it at school. Otherwise all children would need religion at every school, take away sport and art we're in trouble, take away religion ?? They'll survive.
    I was only referring to primary school. I didn't attend a private high school so I don't know what is compulsory there. I thought your previous comments about no re in school was in primary. I'm getting lost.

I don't think the test should be though will this subject get me a job. I did music and that certainly didn't get me a job

And I'm sure there are parents who believe re contributes to their child's development.

Anyway I've said my piece. I don't share others concerns about children doing re at a private school. I did it for 7 years and never considered myself indoctrinated but I realise every child is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Catholic schools were formed so Catholics could send their kids there - as much as I disagree with their religion I do think they have the right to teach it in their own school! It seems that their schools are becoming cheaper options than private schools if the local public school is not that great ( or on my area anyway)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I had to respond to this. Does sport help every kid get a job after school? Or music? I did lots of subject at school that had no bearing whatsoever on my ability to get a job but many would argue would give me other life skills and were therefore worthwhile. Do we get rid of music and art because not many people really get a job from those subjects.
    Erm ok... Well I understand your point but I am having trouble with the comparisons. Sporting, artistic, creative ability - these are all attributes, talents and yes I absolutely do think they play a role in career, employability. I think these are all components of a well-rounded education absolutely.

Life skills - well ok of you think so but I am talking specifically about academic education... Life skills can be learnt anywhere and actually I would say most kids gain life skills after school, once they get out there in the world. If people want their children to embrace the spirituality of religion, they take them to church on Sundays...(?) I just don't think it's an educatschool subject that will have any benefit to their education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Catholic schools were formed so Catholics could send their kids there - as much as I disagree with their religion I do think they have the right to teach it in their own school! It seems that their schools are becoming cheaper options than private schools if the local public school is not that great ( or on my area anyway)
    I agree they have a right to include it, I just don't think they have a right to force students to take the class if they choose not to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

If I wanted my children to learn about a religion that I believed in, I would rather do it myself, and I would never send my child to a school with a different religion to what I believed.

Thanks
    Reviews

If one of my employees started work for me and decided they didn't want to do certain things that my company usually does I would be livid - I would not expect a religious school to allow non Catholics to dictate what and how their child participate in their school - their school, their rules or go to the local public school and hope ( unlike OP!) your child can opt out of the religion classes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, I think you are to be admired for giving this a lot of thought and trying to make the best decisions for your daughter. I think religion is a matter of personal choice and I think there is a good deal of wisdom in it being a choice made at a time in life when a person is grown and has perspective.

On the subject of RE in schools, I would expect, if I sent my child to a Catholic (as an example) school, that Catholic religious education would be part of the deal. Catholic schools exist because Catholic parents want their children educated in that manner.

If I sent my child to a public school, I would expect the only exposure my child to have to religions to be in a "social/cultural studies" sort of context. I would definitely want my child to have that sort of understanding of what different religions of the world believe, as it enhances cultural understanding.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellybeanicecream For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-02-2013),PomPoms  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    I totally disagree with that logic - just because the Catholic Church have so much money, does not mean they should have the right to forcefully indoctrinate any student who attends. What if its the only good school in an area? I went to a Christian private school not because it was Christian but because it was the only private school in my area. Religion had nothing to do with why we went to that school - my parents are atheists.

then you go to the public school...private schooling is a choice. If you chose a catholic school, then it is part of the choice. If you are willing to use them for their facilities/school...then, you need to give back by following their rules.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-02-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    then you go to the public school...private schooling is a choice. If you chose a catholic school, then it is part of the choice. If you are willing to use them for their facilities/school...then, you need to give back by following their rules.
    Yep I am aware of what the current 'rules' are - I just don't agree.

As it is, the religious institutions with the most money (the CC) can effectively control the education system to a large degree and put up schools on every block, and I think it's wrong. It's my opinion. I would never send my kids to a catholic school though but there's plenty of others who do based on the belief it's an academically good school, and their kids are being taught the catholic faith and that god exists and blasphemy is a sin.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 23-02-2013 at 19:18.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Buttermilk  (23-02-2013)