+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    But there are parents and other people that do disagree with you and hence send their kids to private religious schools because they want their children to learn about their faith/culture and religion as part of their education. I would like the school to teach my kids their subjects as per the moral creeds of our faith. To teach care, compassion, charity as part of life etc.

I would never force a child to learn about God whose parents are athiest/agnostic. I would like it if other people respect my wishes as a parent. If its important to me to raise my child/ren a certain way then why should it bother you? or anyone else? You raising your children as atheists is your choice. It in no way effects how I raise mine. I dont understand why it should bother you.

perfectly said!!!!
    I don't dispute you or others disagree with me
    Ofcourse you have your beliefs and wants for you childrens education. I *personally* don't feel it's imperative to their religion or beliefs to get this education as part of mainsteam school. It can be done at home, at church or church group (sunday school if that still exists)
    I find the whole catholic education system abit much, there is like 1+ in every sinlge suburb here, yet not that many in other religions. How many catholics go? And how many of those parents even care about the religious education their kids are getting? I don't know many, I know some, but not many hardcore catholics who get involved as a family. And now its not enough they want it in public schools too. I still just don't get why, the only reason is the belief of child indoctrination which is something I ofcourse highly protest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

I do not believe in any god and have briefly mentioned to my 5yr old that some people believe in god and heaven etc but I don't. I never went to church or had any RE growing up nor will my children, certainly not at primary school age anyway. Mainly for the reason that I want them to see it for what it is and not a factual thing (IMO)

I would be livid if that happened in my child's school and would be straight to the principal and if I wasn't satisfied would be taking my complaint higher. Kids believe teachers and don't forget easily. If someone told my child that we would go to hell because we were not believers I would be appalled. I mean I don't believe it for one second but she would and would fear it. The fact that the RE teacher made that comment to about the roll is disgusting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think teaching any type of religion has no place in the education system at all. It segregates society and I think that imposing it on children is wrong as clearly children get mixed messages and are fed information that is open to interpretation which makes it very confusing for children. I just think religion is not relevant to an education in any way - is it going to help them get a job after school? I don't think so. The Catholic Church is huge and very powerful and owns a huge chunk of the education pie - that doesn't mean they ought to be allowed to force their doctrine on to young children! As it is, parents choose schools based on a number if important educational factors and should therefore have the option to opt out of religious studies if they deem it completely irrelevant to their child's education.

Id read them the riot act OP!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    .... I just think religion is not relevant to an education in any way - is it going to help them get a job after school? I don't think so.
    I had to respond to this. Does sport help every kid get a job after school? Or music? I did lots of subject at school that had no bearing whatsoever on my ability to get a job but many would argue would give me other life skills and were therefore worthwhile. Do we get rid of music and art because not many people really get a job from those subjects.

For a lot of people who choose to send their children to religious schools, having a religious eduction might not lead to a job but it might result it happiness, self awareness, inner peace (lots of different reasons people adopt religions), or just a greater direction in their lives.

I did music for 5 years at school so it gave me a greater appreciation of the world around me. I'm sure there are people who feel religion does the same.

To reiterate, I am not religious (I was raised a Catholic and taught by nuns and I loathe Catholicism), and I would never condone my children having a religious education, but I think it's a bit unfair to tell other people they shouldn't be allowing their children to have RE during school hours at a private school if that's what they choose for them.

As for teaching at home, not everyone has the skills for that.
    Last edited by Sonja; 23-02-2013 at 16:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    I just want to take a minute and separate out the RE teachings from under the banner of 'Christianity'. The majority of RE is Catholicism. I wouldn't have a drama if some lovely Protestants wanted to teach my boy about God and the Bible, but under no circumstances do I want him indoctrinated into the Catholic faith. So can we be clear about that please? Catholicism and Protestancy are not the same.
    I can think of a certain Protestant "super church" in Sydney that is incredibly indoctrinating.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-02-2013),onionskin  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

I've been working late lately, so have been unable to come back until now.

Okay... so I didn't get to see the school yesterday. The office was busy when I dropped her off, and the Principal was running late anyway apparently... so I told them I'd be back Monday (yesterday my mother came up to visit).

Monday it will be!

I think I might write a letter and arrange a meeting. A letter so it's in writing, a meeting so the letter doesn't get ignored.

As I said earlier - I am an atheist, but I do not tell DD there is no god. I tell her what I know - and that is that many people believe in various gods, and that I believe in none. That she can believe whatever she wants... but that to follow any organised religion (rather than just having her own personal faith), she needs to be older so she can look into those religions a little more thoroughly before committing herself.

We talked about it against yesterday morning as we got ready.

I explained that while she may want to follow religion, she doesn't even know what that entails, so how can she say that? She needs to know what she's agreeing to before she agrees to it.

I went over a few really basic Bible stories (Christian, since that's what the RE class is), and said, "Now *this* part in the story... think about it... do you think that makes sense?" and "Do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing?" etc, just to show her that she needs to use her own mind to come to these conclusions, not just believe what someone says.

I don't think 7-year-olds are stupid either. My daughter is really quite intelligent. That doesn't mean she has the ability to critically think though. OTHER 7-year-olds might, but this is my child, who I've spend 7.5 years with. I KNOW that she doesn't think critically. It's one thing we keep on working on, but common sense and critical thinking are not her strong points. Absorbing info and retaining it for freaking forever though... lol... she's good at that.

She has blind faith in what is taught at school as fact, and that's fine... so long as it IS facts she is being taught, not religion. This is why we chose NO religion for her. Perhaps if she was a different type of child, one who does question things, one who could hear a Bible tale and think, "Um... yeah, I don't think so..." then it would be fine for her to attend. I attended many RE classes in various religions as a child... and many churches too (I tended to befriend kids who were from very religious households, and sleepovers always meant church the next morning... lol). But I'm not DD... I was a skeptic as a child, would always have an opinion on something and could critically think. I was just different to her... and knowing her as I do, I do not believe that letting a stranger try to indoctrinate her is going to be good for her.

As for being the odd one out, I have no doubt she wants to go religion because her friends do. That doesn't make it a good idea though. I don't let her wear high heels and midriff tops because some girls her age do, I'm certainly not letting her be told what is right and wrong by someone who has a completely different belief system to me though... I provide her with a "this is what I believe, this is what others might believe..." whereas RE just says, "This IS how things are..." with no room for movement. It's just not something I agree with.

And you know, I'll admit, I'd LOVE it if she grew up and was an atheist - but if that doesn't happen, I want it to be because SHE chose not to be, and to follow some religion... not that someone got their claws into her while she was too young to know better and brainwashed her.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-02-2013),MissMuppet  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I had to respond to this. Does sport help every kid get a job after school? Or music? I did lots of subject at school that had no bearing whatsoever on my ability to get a job but many would argue would give me other life skills and were therefore worthwhile. Do we get rid of music and art because not many people really get a job from those subjects.

For a lot of people who choose to send their children to religious schools, having a religious eduction might not lead to a job but it might result it happiness, self awareness, inner peace (lots of different reasons people adopt religions), or just a greater direction in their lives.

I did music for 5 years at school so it gave me a greater appreciation of the world around me. I'm sure there are people who feel religion does the same.

To reiterate, I am not religious (I was raised a Catholic and taught by nuns and I loathe Catholicism), and I would never condone my children having a religious education, but I think it's a bit unfair to tell other people they shouldn't be allowing their children to have RE during school hours at a private school if that's what they choose for them.

As for teaching at home, not everyone has the skills for that.
    I did RE in year 12 and it was compulsary, fine as an elective, but compulsary? It didn't help anyone with studies, the sole purpose of being at school, in year 12 is to get a mark you can use for uni. RE gives you no mark towards your end score and took time away from studying. It shouldn't be compulsary, so what if its private, there aren't many public school options. There are alot of catholic schools with money though, so kids go with no choice or desire to learn religion.
    This was something we protested at school all the time.

Art and Sport is vital for childrens developement, neither are compulsary past year 9 if you won't use it in your career. Religion? Children don't need it, parents want it, but the kids don't need it at school. Otherwise all children would need religion at every school, take away sport and art we're in trouble, take away religion ?? They'll survive.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttermilk For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    if the parents chose a religious school...then, they have to follow the rules of that school and if that means RE then so be it. Just like private schools with strict uniform policies etc...you know all of that when you sign up.

Public school is different as it is not supposed to be a religious school...it is supposed to be non secular.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    if the parents chose a religious school...then, they have to follow the rules of that school and if that means RE then so be it. Just like private schools with strict uniform policies etc...you know all of that when you sign up.

Public school is different as it is not supposed to be a religious school...it is supposed to be non secular.
    But why does the school make RE compulsory? Why can't the school accept all students who want to attend and make RE elective?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Because they are religious schools! As pp said if you send your kids to a religious school you have to suck it up and expect religion will be in there somewhere - the majority of private schools are religious ( unfortunately ) mainly as they are quite old and back in the day religion was considered important, my school was Anglican and we had numerous faiths/atheists attend but you just go to the weekly scripture class, attend church Easter and Xmas and learn prayers/hymns - the school DS will go to has compulsory Saturday sport from 3rd class to year 12 ( which we like) some parents may not like this but just as pp mentioned the strict uniform rules - that's their policy's and you have to abide by them , if not send them to another school

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post: