+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Okay so before I begin... I am an atheist. I do not believe there is any sort or god at all. I have told DD this, but explained the basic rundown of gods, that there are various gods, what some of them are, blah blah blah. She knows that she has the right to believe in god, any god, if she wants... She just knows that I don't believe.

Anyway, ages ago I was told if I wanted to say no to religious education for her at school I had to write a note and hand it in at the office. I did that.

Yesterday I discovered that she was in a religious education class. Obviously this annoys me.

What annoys me more, however, are some of the details. When I asked why she was in it, she said the teacher (this was the RE teacher, not her usual teacher) didn't check the roll because she wanted them all to learn something special. Wtf?! So deliberately teaching kids who have had their parents request they don't attend. Furious at that.

She was told about how "everything is made by God." She has a handout with the same enormous and quite simply, unproven, claims written on it. Pretty annoyed again.

DP informed me that DD had also let him know that apparently, if he and I didn't start believing, we would end up in Hell. To be fair I have no idea if the teacher said this or conversation was just opening and a friend said it. Regardless, DD now believes it all.

I have never wanted DD to attend because she is a black and white thinker. No grey areas exist for her. So at school, she is taught, she is there to learn facts. Therefore anyone who is an adult in the school and is clearly not a parent is a teacher. Everything they teach is factual... Since school is all about learning facts. That's how she sees it.

So basically, she won't question this. If she was capable of critical thinking I would maybe allow it. Unlikely, but it's more of a possibility than as she currently is... A black and white thinker.

This morning I gave her a brief rundown of why it's not okay for her to attend, why I don't think she should participate on religion until older and able to decide which religion best suits her beliefs, etc. don't get me wrong. She is free to believe... Just not participate in an organised religion. I do not believe it will be good for her in any way at all.

Regardless of your beliefs in a higher power, I'm sure most parents would be furious to discover the school had gone against wishes you has provided in writing and not only that, but you have witnessed the ill effects of it.

DD does not need to believe that I'm going to hell. No child should believe that of their parents!
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 21-02-2013 at 16:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be peeved about that too. I am atheist also, but have no problem with my kids deciding for themselves which if any religion they choose to be. I also understand though, that they will need some sort of exposure to a religion in order for them to learn about it and make an informed decision on whether or not they choose to follow it.
    I think 7yrs old is still a bit young to be placed in that said situation, and I would be having a word with the school about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I can understand why you'd be upset. Can you talk to the principal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

I personally don't have anything against my dd1 doing religious class at school. Well unless it is hard core your going to hell because you did something.. type thing. Saying that though, going against your wishes.. Not on. At all. I would be bringing it up with the school.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it's okay for religion to be taught for many reasons BUT not in a way where teachers say "plants were made by God" or "you'll go to hell if you don't believe in God." Religion can be a beautiful thing but it's not black and white.. And there's no need to scare children into believing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

This is wrong on so many levels. I would be very upset too and rightly so.

Can you speak to the school and RE educator?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If something angered me that much in regards to School, I would most definitely be fronting up at the School to speak with the Principal.

The only thing I find a little 'puzzling' for want of a better word is the mention of 'hell' etc. My DD goes to a religious school and she has never heard of 'Hell' or the 'Devil' etc. She came home last year saying the 'Devil lived under the ground' and naturally I was aghast, but upon further probing found out a 'boy in her class told her that', so maybe it's a possibility that a child in your DD's class has just 'run with it' so to speak?

Thanks
    Reviews

You sent the note "ages ago"? Last year? A new classroom teacher might not know that your child is on the 'no RE' list. Yes, admin should have updated the list this year and ensured that class teachers took excluded children to the alternate area or activity, but I can see how this might have been missed for the first (?) RE session of the school year. It's an administrative over site. I wouldn't fault the visiting RE teacher for not knowing which students are on the alternate list, but rather the school admin for not being prepared. Unfortunate, but hopefully no harm done. Easily fixed by letting the class teacher know of your wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by kalgirl View Post
    You sent the note "ages ago"? Last year? A new classroom teacher might not know that your child is on the 'no RE' list. Yes, admin should have updated the list this year and ensured that class teachers took excluded children to the alternate area or activity, but I can see how this might have been missed for the first (?) RE session of the school year. It's an administrative over site. I wouldn't fault the visiting RE teacher for not knowing which students are on the alternate list, but rather the school admin for not being prepared. Unfortunate, but hopefully no harm done. Easily fixed by letting the class teacher know of your wishes.
    I disagree. Christian preaching is not religious education and should not be the norm in a public school. The onus is on all educators (RE teacher, school teacher, school admin) to be doubly sure that only kids approved to be there are in the class... Before they open their traps and start sprouting their BS.

Sassy: I'd submit a written complain to the principal/Dept of education.

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

annagal  (21-02-2013),atomicmama  (21-02-2013),BlissedOut  (21-02-2013),Busy-Bee  (21-02-2013),cam11  (22-02-2013),Ellewood  (23-02-2013),ExcuseMyFrench  (21-02-2013),MINIRoo  (22-02-2013),mousky  (22-02-2013),River Song  (21-02-2013),shelle65  (21-02-2013),Silvana  (23-02-2013),VanityFey  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Vic Park. I wasn't claiming to support the idea of Christian RE, just making the point that it sounds lime an administrative over site (maybe?). One that could and should be fixed. Sassy has every right to have her wishes respected in regards to the knowledge content that is delivered to her daughter at school.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (21-02-2013)