+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sorry but I have another homework question...sight words

DD got her first set of sight words today: a, I, is, in, be, and.

What have you found is the best way to teach them to your child?
    What is the best time to do it? (After school, after dinner, etc).

I can't get her to concentrate, she says its boring and I tried to turn it into a game to make it fun but she wasn't very impressed.

Any tips to make this process any easier on the both of us? I don't want her associating learning with bad feelings...

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made 2 sets of cards and we played snap, saying the word when putting the card down, and snap if it matched. DD had about 16 words at a time so it worked well.
    We also played memory - using both sets and saying the word as we turned the cards over to make pairs.

Eta: we do homework as soon as we get home while DD has a snack. I find this works best for us, 10 mins is enough.
    Last edited by tootiredtosleep; 21-02-2013 at 15:15. Reason: Adding

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tootiredtosleep For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (21-02-2013),Oblena  (21-02-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by tootiredtosleep View Post
    I made 2 sets of cards and we played snap, saying the word when putting the card down, and snap if it matched. DD had about 16 words at a time so it worked well.
    We also played memory - using both sets and saying the word as we turned the cards over to make pairs.

Eta: we do homework as soon as we get home while DD has a snack. I find this works best for us, 10 mins is enough.
    This is how I learned when I was younger and I feel probably one of the better ways.

You could also try making it a song and she has to hold up the card that she is singing (so hold up a and hold that note then like be be afterward. If you have an iPad have a look at hirigana party, it teaches Japanese letters this way and gets stuck in the head) .

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week

Default Re: Sorry but I have another homework question...sight words

Quote Originally Posted by tootiredtosleep View Post

I did something similar with a girl I babysat: made pretty pink flash cards with stickers and used them to play Go Fish. She also liked to pretend to be the teacher and write the words on a white board and give herself a big tick if she got it right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also made a game but we did memory as they love memory. Another thing we did was make the sight words into a power point and add in the sound file. She loved this as it was on the computer.

We have about 1/2 -3/4 hr for afternoon tea and free time (depending on what time we get home from school) and then it was time for homework.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks. We have played memory with them which helped a little.

Thanks
    Reviews

All the above are great! Others I suggest to my class are - hf (high frequency) word twister- place them on floor, hand on the, foot on and etc, passwords - bluetack above doors to rooms, child needs to read each password past to continue, search in a race to find them in books and MOST importantly, talk about the letters and sounds and how they make up the words! Talk about the letters that are making a different sound to their usual sound, talk about groups of letters that make different sounds together and MAKE the words- use cookie dough, play dough, squeeze bottles or paintbrushes with water on dry pavement, chalk, finger paint, magnets, apps like doodle buddy it mag letters to write in etc! It is also really important to have your child use these words in sentences. If the words are in cards, have her practice reading them as little as possible off the card. Heaps of kids learn the order alone or that the 'n' words on the green mat are 'new' and 'now' so just guess etc! Hope that helps, I love this stuff
    Last edited by tootsiegirl; 21-02-2013 at 21:48.

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    get her to type them out too - the time on a computer might be exciting for her.

Also when playing snap try to make the words on different fonts as well so that she doesn't memorise the shape of the word, but not recognise the actual word in other forms.

The have the letters all cut up and she has to make them underneath the word - so you would have the word in full and then the letters and she has to find the letters that make up the word and put it underneath.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I butted heads with dd1 over these sight words tonight, she didn't want todo them. Some great ideas here, I will definitely be using some of them. We also had a bit of a chat tonight about the fact that she doesn't need to know them tomorrow, I think she was feeling a bit stressed & overwhelmed (we were given 12 words)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:34.