+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving house

Hi Ladies, i hope I am posting this in the right place.

DH & I will be buying our first house in a few months time (may/june). Were moving about 90 mins away to Bunbury, so was just wondering what people did to make the move into their first owned house easier or wish they did in hindsight, or what made it easier living in a new area.

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have moved from nz to melbourne, melb to brisbane and brisbane to auckland and interauckland in the last 8 years.

NZ to melb we only had suitcases so no biggie. Melb to brisbane we got packers, it was amazing. Brisbane to auckland in a bigger house and 3 years more stuff we got packers/movers again. Was amazing.

Auckland to auckland shift, we thought we should do it ourselves. What a STUPID idea. for about double the cost we could ahve someone packa nd move it. It was horrible, stressful, took ages to pack, ages to move stuff. I will never move house ourselves again. Don't know why we did it when we know packers/movers are much more efficient and easier. Seriously even if it 3times the price it is worth it. The melbourne packer took 1hr to do my house, brisbane (bigger house + kid) it took them half a day. I also organise with the moving company to bring in a cleaner too. all done and dusted. nice

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Moving house

I was thinking a cleaner may be a good idea, rather than having to drive back later to clean out the rental while still getting the new house organised. I think ill def look in to movers too! We moved ourselves last time, but were 18/20 and had almost nothing, now weve been in this house 5 years we have so many possessions.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah definitely get a real estate recommended cleaner, so if they miss something they'll go back and clean it, should save you several unnecessary trips.

Also pack a "survival" bag to take with you the very first time you go over - toilet paper, some water and snacks, maybe a few cleaning products just in case etc. - that way when you're 3 hours into unpacking and you realise you really really need to use the bathroom you won't have to worry about finding where the near by shops are to get toilet paper or even use their facilities.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and unpack and set up your bed, fridge and TV first. That way at the end of the day when you're exhausted and just want to crash you don't have to first put your bed together

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh i can just imagine us forgetting that and crashing on a mattress on the floor!

I think I may have to pack one car up with basics: clothes, kettle, cleaning supplies etc