+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Over a million I would at least want Caesar stone bench tops and good quality appliances. I think getting the cabinetry from ikea would be fine, as long as the installation was spot on. In saying that, cabinetry is the cheapest part of a kitchen, so getting a kitchen professional to do everything may turn out cheaper.
    We have done 4 kitchens, mostly 4 weeks from first design meeting to complete installed kitchen, try and find a local business that makes them in their factory (so not freedom or kitchen connection - look in your local paper) as any issues will be rectified straight away. I have a friend still waiting for her freedom kitchen to be completed - 7 months after paying the first deposit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Having ikea cabinets would be okay but for a house of that price I would want stone bench tops and and very nice splash back. I'd also expect brand name appliances.

If it was all ikea I would absolutely be able to tell and it would put me off buying a house of that value.

Kitchen is the most important part of the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't have ikea here but have just redone our kitchen. I agree a stone or acrylic bench top is a must. Also gloss finish on doors etc and must have top notch appliances, gas or induction cooktop etc.

We found tiles vs a nice splashback was more than $2k difference so we went for tiles but a nice splashback does look special.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alternatively, if you are redoing it for the purpose of selling it, maybe leave it as it is and let the new owners renovate it themselves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

We will definitely be doing custom bench tops - i want a waterfall!

I actually prefer tiles over glass splash back.....and from what I've seen in the magazines and even the Ikea catalogue show tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by tannedangel View Post
    Alternatively, if you are redoing it for the purpose of selling it, maybe leave it as it is and let the new owners renovate it themselves?
    we considered this, however the kitchen and bathrooms are so bad we are better off spending $60-70k to return approx $150k

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Glass is sooooooo much easier to clean and in a house of this spec I would expect glass splashback.

But personally a neutral colour glass is better. Not red or something standout as its not everyone's taste for resale.

I am so happy I chose to spend extra on glass and considering my dad could have done the tiling the cost difference was big.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We re-did our kitchen in 2008. the main thing we get compliments on are
    Going Gas and the glass splash backs. The glass is a Lovely sparkly silver and looks great even when Dirty. It's awesome to clean and even easier if you have the spray they give you.

If you can afford the extra for Gas appliances (especially Oven) Do it. I know All my sibling have turned down houses cause they have electric kitchens. Especially the ones which has just been redone (who wants to go and re-do a 3 months old kitchen cause you need to fit in a new Gas oven or bench top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the price range of the house I would expect top line appliances, splash, benchtop and tap wear. At the end of the day most cabinetry be it from bunnings, ikea or a specialty kitchen shop in my opinion is similar quality as its mostly all chipboard anyway.

In saying that can you cheat? How bad it the kitchen. Yes you need to spend sometimes to make, but you can always give the illusion of a new kitchen ( if your existing one allows it).
    As your post proves everyone has different tastes so if it's semi renovated then on the surface it looks new, without you spending a fortune and it's not a waste if and when the new owners want to redo.
    This can be done by changing the benchtop ( or you can get a thin layer of stone over the existing).
    Changing the taps and doors/ handles rather than replace all the cabinetry and pop in a new oven. You can always put in or rent a top notch dishwasher and take it with you ( just indicate its not included in sales contract.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

babycart  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really think you should reconsider the splash back. If I was looking at a house with a new kitchen, I would be very skeptical of why they didn't spend the extra for the splash back and wonder where else they cut costs.

No offense to you at all just letting you know how I would think from a buyers point of view.

Also I was the opposite with gas, I was turned off by gas, I'd be wanting induction stove top for sure though!! Such a waste having to pull the old out and pay extra to install induction. We are in that process now and I was so annoyed they didn't spend the extra for induction when the stove and oven were new anyway!!!. I didn't mind though because we got our house heavily discounted.
    Last edited by waterlily; 28-02-2013 at 09:00.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

babycart  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tiled splashbacks may look good in photos of brand new kitchens, but they are impractical to clean and the grout gets very stained, and quickly. They look horrible as time goes on.