+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips on night-weaning?

Has anyone got any tips to help me night-wean my almost 1 year old? He still feeds 3-4 times a night, plus a number of times during the day.

I'm Still planning on BF'ing as long as he wants during the day, but I'm exhausted & need to stop the night feeds -am going back to work soon & will need sleep!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Btw - have posted this a few days ago somewhere else. Using dr jay Gordon's methods is what was suggested. I'm just looking for any other advice ppl may have!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing. I totally need help in this area too. :/

Thanks
    Reviews

Sub sub
    In the same boat here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm doing it at the moment {yawn}.
    My rule is, no breastfeed before midnight (dinner is at 5pm then breastfeed at 6pm bedtime). If she wakes, I offer water and just sit in her room (she can self settle). She screams!! Teething as well so it is hard. I give her 1hr, in which time she is usually asleep. Hubby settling her takes 5 min, so that is sometimes a solution. After that she will generally wake again around 3am, when I will feed her. I am happy with once a night, just have to get rid of the midnight screams. Feeding her at midnight does not prevent the 3am wake up. It is slowly getting easier, but yeah, the teething I think is the issue now. With DD1 I use to just hold her and not feed her, but DD2 doesn't like being held.
    I think you just need to select a method and stick to it - which is VERY hard when you know that a quick boob could get you back to bed in 5 min. BUT, persistence will see bub sleeping most of the night. From memory it took a month with DD1 (a very long month!) - she is a brilliant sleeper now, and rarely wakes when the baby screams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

This is probably not what you want to hear and I won't be offended if you don't take my advice

At nearly 12 months a bub doesn't need night feeds. Up the solids/proteins before bed and then just don't give any milk. Offer water instead. A few nights of crying and you'll be right. If you want to go the more gentle approach you could try delaying each feed by 30 minutes for 5 nights... Then another 30 for the next few nights and so on...

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    This is probably not what you want to hear and I won't be offended if you don't take my advice

A few nights of crying and you'll be right.

Good luck!
    I wish my baby gave in that quickly

Solids hasn't helped here, she eats an unbelievable amount of food for such a tiny person, I agree that she doesn't 'need' the overnight feeds, but taking away that comfort is heartbreaking for them, so I prefer to do it gradually - as it was we went from 3 feeds to 1, I think that's a big deal for a 1yr old.