+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default small baby or low growth- unplanned c section- advice and or support please 38 weeks

Hello

I am not really sure if I am writing for advice or just to get this off my chest. I am 38 + 3 days pregnant. I went to my Obstetrician appointment yesterday and he was measuring bub and became worried about growth from last week’s appointment (which was minimal from the week before too) and suggested the fluid looked low.

I was rushed to an urgent scan to check growth, fluid and placenta. I was also on my own so was trying very hard to be calm etc. The sonographer was brilliant and very thorough, she said the fluid actually looked good but that baby was small. She is measuring 2.68 kilos (I know there is room for error ) the doctor came in too and said yes, you are going to have a small bub but don’t worry, lots of women do. These two ladies actually did 2 other scans for me 16 weeks and 20 weeks because I had low PAPPA results and therefore came out at a borderline DS risk. She said the tummy is small indicating weight not going on etc. They both said Ob may just induce you today. The placenta looked fine, some calcification but that is apparently normal at 38 weeks.

I know that plenty of women have small babies and the weight does not concern me, it’s just the lack of growth he is concerned about and the fact that it should not taper off like it has.

After this I was sent to the mat ward for a stress test, which baby passed with flying colours, e.g. she is moving heaps and heart rate was excellent.

I went back to the ob for a chat after this. Bear in mind I have been quite pushy for a natural birth the whole way through and he has been seemingly on board with this (I am birthing at a hospital that has very high intervention and c section rates). My point of view has always been I will do whatever is medically necessary yet would have loved the shot at natural birth. He has stated all along that he is supportive.

One thing he has said frequently is that he does not induce unless there is some sign from the women that they are starting labour. Eg head starting to engage or a small dilation. His view is that inducing women who are not ‘ready’ leads to stressful long labours that can inevitably lead to emergency c section. His words, his view point.

He has booked me in for 5 days’ time and if there is no process naturally, I will have a c section on that day as he doesn’t want to risk leaving bub in there, not getting nutrients etc. I feel the same too even though it wasn’t on the agenda. I just want this bub to be healthy.

I am panicked and highly anxious now that in utero something could happen to my bub, and if it did I keep thinking I could have pushed for a c section yesterday. I am still wondering if I should revisit him and let him know my fears. I haven’t slept and have gone from a very relaxed mumma to a ball of nerves.

If you have read all this, well done! Please don’t let this turn into intervention/c sections/ private/ public debate or a personal attack on my choices, I am too fragile for that. I am just reaching out to see if anyone has been in this position and can make any comments.
    Last edited by acerbaby; 20-02-2013 at 16:50.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default small baby or low growth- unplanned c section- advice and or support please 38 weeks

Hi. Just wanted to say hi and tell you a bit about my story. My now 4yr old had what is called IUGR (interuterin growth restriction). At 20 weeks she measured 3 weeks behind (while at the 11 weeks scan was spot on). They monitored me very closely until deciding to induce at 37 weeks.

With the scan you had they would have checked a lot of thing. Bubs size. Placenta. Fluid. Cord flow. Etc. if all of those things (aside from bubs being a bit small) are looking good and they (the Dr's) haven't jumped straight into immediate action then try not to worry yourself (I know. Easier said than done).

As for the birth/delivery. I asked my dr if they would let me attempt a normal vaginal delivery. They allowed this bit shortly after breaking my waters (the first thing they did in order to put a clip on her scalp to get a more accurate heart rate reading) she went into distress and continued to go up and down until we finally said c-section.

My advice would be. Stay informed. Keep an open mind. Think of how you might cope with a natural birth not going to plan and go from there.
    If I had my time over I would have gone straight for a c-section. 1. Because even though I "handled" the labour emotionally it was still quite stressful. And 2. Because at least you know they'll get bubs out quickly and safely.

I hope this helps a bit take care

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mumoftwoprincess For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumoftwoprincess View Post
    Hi. Just wanted to say hi and tell you a bit about my story. My now 4yr old had what is called IUGR (interuterin growth restriction). At 20 weeks she measured 3 weeks behind (while at the 11 weeks scan was spot on). They monitored me very closely until deciding to induce at 37 weeks.

With the scan you had they would have checked a lot of thing. Bubs size. Placenta. Fluid. Cord flow. Etc. if all of those things (aside from bubs being a bit small) are looking good and they (the Dr's) haven't jumped straight into immediate action then try not to worry yourself (I know. Easier said than done).

As for the birth/delivery. I asked my dr if they would let me attempt a normal vaginal delivery. They allowed this bit shortly after breaking my waters (the first thing they did in order to put a clip on her scalp to get a more accurate heart rate reading) she went into distress and continued to go up and down until we finally said c-section.

My advice would be. Stay informed. Keep an open mind. Think of how you might cope with a natural birth not going to plan and go from there.
    If I had my time over I would have gone straight for a c-section. 1. Because even though I "handled" the labour emotionally it was still quite stressful. And 2. Because at least you know they'll get bubs out quickly and safely.

I hope this helps a bit take care
    Thanks for that, it really does help. I think your story highlights the obs view point not to induce. Prior to all this I would have thought straight to a c section was not ideal but I am changing my mind.
    Thanks again :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi OP. My situation was quite different in terms of timing but has a lot of similarities. My baby had IUGR and didn't grow for the last week she was in utero. Plus I had an emergency c-section which was quite scary.

Your OB sounds cautious but sensible. I think the extra few days won't make much difference, hang in there. If the OB had immediate concerns you'd probably be holding your bub right now! :-)

Keep a close eye for any changes and read up about c sections and recovery.

Good luck xx
    Last edited by GM01; 20-02-2013 at 17:28.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by acerbaby View Post
    Thanks for that, it really does help. I think your story highlights the obs view point not to induce. Prior to all this I would have thought straight to a c section was not ideal but I am changing my mind.
    Thanks again :-)
    My pleasure they will keep bubs safe. And there's always the VBAC option for the next one (which I successfully did with my 2nd DD )

Thanks
    Reviews

I have no advice but wanted to send you hugs! At my last appointment at 31 weeks bubs head and tummy is measuring 28 weeks but ob said there is room for error by 1-2 weeks and next appointment at 34 weeks if bub is still small they are sending me for extra scans. I can understand your worry. I am stressed out about it and also thinking what the next steps are. Sorry enough about me just try and do what you think is best

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maco For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would call him and speak about your fears, say let's just do it. You're stressed and that's not good for bubs, and I don't think you will relax.

You seem in a good frame of mind to do the CS, you just want what's best for your bub.

You're paying him a lot of money, get your money's worth and get him to do it or put your mind at ease

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any chance they can pop a fetal monitor on, scan again between now and when they'll do the c-section, to allay your concerns?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tap View Post
    Any chance they can pop a fetal monitor on, scan again between now and when they'll do the c-section, to allay your concerns?
    hi
    they are doing one tomorrow and I can go in when ever I like over the weekend, which I may do just to stop the freak outs. :-)
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first baby didn't grow in the last few weeks but all else was good. She was born at full term, 2.7kg, perfectly healthy.

My second had IUGR, monitored weekly from around 30 weeks, at a scan at 37 weeks I was told he had to be born asap, and csection the next day. He was 2.1kg. I was devastated when told he had to be born within 24hrs and a csection was not on my radar at all and terrified me. But the csection was fine. Nowhere near as scary as I thought. My bub did not do well however and the first few weeks were not good, but he was tiny and unlucky and your situation sounds more like my first than second. The extra few hundred grams makes a huge difference.

Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly for you.