+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Large family.. Pros and Cons

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Check with this as I work for a council and our only habitable requirements are based on non related tenants, not sure about maybe fire safety
    But majority of LLs don't want to rent to someone with 6 kids. Sad, but that's the way it is.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Large family.. Pros and Cons

Re rentals I don't think children are meant to be counted, I'm pretty sure that part of the lease is there to prevent people setting up share houses etc. However I'm sure landlords do discriminate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I want 5. I have 3 younger sisters and 1 younger brother. I loved being around kids my whole childhood and even now the youngest is still only 12. Pros - always someone to help out. My mum was never without a multitude of helpers! Even though we all argued it was nice having people around all the time and I can't imagine if I had to grow up without them. My hubby only had 1 sister and he hated it.

Cons - picking favourites, my mum was a shocker for this. The washing is ridiculous. Food shopping can be VERY costly. Amount of down time you get will be minimal. My mum never stopped with all the various activities she had to ferry us around to, and I mean NEVER stopped. Holidays are too expensive - as we got older we just went to france or holland and did camping which was much cheaper (I'm from UK). Xmas and birthdays are costly. You will end up being a peacekeeper as there will be lots of arguments (nothing necessarily serious but even now we tease my sister who was constantly repeating 'mmuuuuuuummm tell her!')

Lol there are loads of cons but I wouldn't change it for the world and like I said my plan is and always has been at least 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Re rentals I don't think children are meant to be counted, I'm pretty sure that part of the lease is there to prevent people setting up share houses etc. However I'm sure landlords do discriminate
    I would think the number of kids should sort of count. It's all about is your house big enough to cope with the number of people living in it without having the toilets overflowing and the place turning into a dump. Perhaps one or two kids wouldn't matter but the Duggars moving into a 3 beddie townhouse might be a problem!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I guess having 4 daughters would be considered as being a large family lol.

Cons
    -Not much time to yourself especially if you have them close in age (mine are 6,4,3,1).
    -The mornings are crazy when you are trying to get to school and preschool drop off on time.
    -when one gets a virus usually it goes through the whole family so a 24 hour virus turns to a fortnight of sick kids.
    - washing argh it just piles up if you miss a day of washing or don't clean the dishes before you need to rush out of the house.

Pro's
    I think there are just to many to list. There is just so much love in the house. I'm sitting here watching my middle 2 tickling and playing with DD4 who is 1 on Sunday. Bub is laughing so much, makes me a proud mummy!! My girls get along so well a help out a lot plus keep themselves entertained..

I do think if holidays, private schools, after school activities and eating out are important to you then make sure you check your finances first. We are lucky to be financially stable so we still get all these things but my BIL has 4 and can't even pay rent and is constantly borrowing money.. They are planning on more as well!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    It does with any rental we have applied for. We have to list how many children (1) and ages. We also have to let our current RE know when we have any more children or if anyone else moves in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it's a bit unfair if people won't rent to someone because they assume the house would be to small.. I grew up for a time after my youngest sister was born with 6 of us in a 2 bed 1 bath house... We were fine. Mum dad and baby in one room and 3 of us sharing the other. We didn't wreck the house and nothing went wrong with the bathroom cause so many of us were using it... (We did own the house)

Thanks
    Reviews

It is unfair, but it happens quite often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am from a large family, and I loved it growing up (still love it now).

We only have 2 children and to me it doesn't feel like a 'proper' family. I know that's a silly thing to say, and I hope I don't inadvertantly offend anyway, but it's honestly how I feel.

I would love, love, love another 2 children, but health and finances are stopping us so far... we'll see what the next few years holds I guess.

I just don't feel finished at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am one if four girls ..

I asked my dad a while ago would he recommend it .. He said in this day and age no way !!

We never struggled with money or anything ( dad is a doctor ) .. But I could see the exhaustion in my parents .. We were pretty spread out though in age .. Eldest is turning 50 this year .. Next is 45 .. Then 35 .. Then me 33 ..( first two were born in Ireland before moving to oz) ..

I think by the time I was born my parents were " over it" .. I got away with murder !!

years ago I could see the benefit and almost need for lots of kids .. But nowadays ( for myself ) I wouldn't want 4 !!