+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Large family.. Pros and Cons

I am currently 10 1/2 weeks pregnant with our first, I come from a family which consists of me, my sister (8 years older) and my mum. my mum and dad split up when I was 7 and I have nothing much to do with my dad. I have always hated having a small family, we are a very 'apart' family. it would be weird to walk up and hug each other. we've just never been like that. I have always hated it but its how we were raised.
    anyway, I've decided I want the opposite for my family. I want to be able to hug them all when ever I feel like it, and viceversa! I have also decided I want a large family (at least 4) simply because I hated being basically an only child as my sister is so much older than me.

do you have a large family? or are you apart of one, or know of one?
    what are your views on pros and cons of a large family.

I think washing will definitely be a con, but I love doing washing lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jorjarenee

I came from a big family, 2 brothers and 6 sisters. From experience, it was a riot growing up, with so many siblings to share my parents and resources with, but you know what, now that we are all grown up, I am so thankful having all these siblings as I am never alone. We all get along very well and we are each others friends, shopping buddy, hangout buddy etc. I know they will always have my back and I am the same to them. It will definitely be challenging for yourself if you have a lot of kids and the same with them as they are growing up, but if they grow up having each other to turn to, its going to be a blessing for them when they are all adults. Moving to Australia when I was 21, it was a bit hard for me to find genuine friends but it didn't matter to me so much as I had my siblings around me to keep me company and enjoy things that you usually enjoy with friends

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jorjarenee

I came from a big family, 2 brothers and 6 sisters. From experience, it was a riot growing up, with so many siblings to share my parents and resources with, but you know what, now that we are all grown up, I am so thankful having all these siblings as I am never alone. We all get along very well and we are each others friends, shopping buddy, hangout buddy etc. I know they will always have my back and I am the same to them. It will definitely be challenging for yourself if you have a lot of kids and the same with them as they are growing up, but if they grow up having each other to turn to, its going to be a blessing for them when they are all adults. Moving to Australia when I was 21, it was a bit hard for me to find genuine friends but it didn't matter to me so much as I had my siblings around me to keep me company and enjoy things that you usually enjoy with friends

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Iamroanney View Post
    Hi Jorjarenee

all that sounds very understandable! I told DP that today and he looked at me puzzled and said 'let's just see how we go with the first one shall we?' LOL im going crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I had a crazy thought of atleast 4 the other day lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    I had a crazy thought of atleast 4 the other day lol
    oh how fun would it be! there would never be a dull moment. there would also never be a quiet moment :S lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 5 children.

To me the biggest con is that it's impossible to go on holidays due to the massive expense.. to go anywhere exciting would cost an absolute bomb. I can't see us ever being able to go on a big overseas hol etc (and there's the impossibility of a plane trip with so many kids etc).

Everything else I think is doable.. larger car, shared rooms, etc etc.

The washing is immense. You just honestly can't understand how much there is. There are many loads every single day. I say this to you but you still won't realise lol. It's massive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    As a mum of 6 the only cons are the washing and the washing up

I will be back to answer more in a minute DD is fb chatting me

Thanks
    Reviews
    A recent study into "happiness" found that couples with 4 or more children were generally happier than those with less kids and closer as a couple...

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was only my brother and I growing up and we are not close now only because he mental health issues that remain untreated. He was very cruel to me when we were growing up. I would have loved to have had a close brother who protected and looked after his little sister but I don't and nor do I dwell on that.
    I have a half older sister whom lived far from us growing up but now we are very close!

My dh has 2 sisters and a brother, 2 of whom he is close with.

Dh and I have 2 boys and we hope to extend our family by one but what will be will be. We do hope our boys grow up close but unfortunately no matter how small or large a family it's not guaranteed. I know of small families of 2 siblings that are close and a family of 5 kids that aren't. You just don't know how it's going to work out.