+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a wonderful experience with my labour and birth. The things I found helpful were reading positive birth stories (Ina may's guide to childbirth), the birth skills book (techniques to stay in your body in first stage), calm birth (I used techniques from this the most during both first and second stage), regular acupuncture (a couple of midwives had heard about how smooth my delivery was and asked me if I did acupuncture as they had noticed a correlation with acupuncture and fast labour), and one last thing which stopped me freaking out at second stage was using the epi-no ( I was familiar with the sensation). I was very fortunate with my birth, I had a three and half hr labour and no stitches/grazes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had three natural births...i found walking around the room, getting in and out of the warm shower and sipping cool water helped. Also i preferred to be left alone until i actually delivered standing up...only then the midwife was allowed to help lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Cherie jean  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I took 3 litres of diluted powerade and sipped it between contractions. Also, DH had an ice cold washer in a bucket which I draped around the back of my neck during contractions and then rubbed my face with. This really helped me as I felt hot during labour.

I found I just slipped into a zone when in labour. I felt calm and focused. Between contractions I closed my eyes and took long, steady breaths. The room was very dim - that really helped me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Birth skills

Tens machine

Acupuncture

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two natural births, with my last I spent most of the time standing up swaying back and forth, to be honest, even though it hurt like hell I was just sooo excited! It helped me through a lot. Just keep in mind what all this pain is for, take yourself off to a place where you imagine what your little miracle is going to look like, what and how much hair it's going to have! with my first I had no idea what to expect so I spent most of my time just laying flat on a bed thinking what the hell am I doing lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, I just stay calm and relaxed, remind myself that millions of women from all over the world, from all walks of life do this every day. During labour, I also said to midwives things like, I'm only having a baby, saying it to others somehow helps remind me not to get caught up in the pressure feeling.

When I was having dd1, I panicked a couple of times, the pain of a contraction when I wasn't relaxed was mind blowingly different to one when I was in control.

Also, while pregnant with dd1, I researched and wrote down heaps of positive affirmations, I really think this gave me extra confidence. Dd2 was easier somewhat as I knew what to expect and wasn't afraid.

I also walked a lot while pregnant, I think fitness helps and also helps bubs get into position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did an active birth workshop but found most of the exercises, breathing techniques not very helpful at all. I also hated the TENS machine (I wanted it off straight away). I would recommend an epi-no though (no grazes or tears at all). I think staying at home for as long as possible, a comfortable homely hospital environment (birthcentre), water birth option were all great. For me the best thing was just letting go completely and letting the primitive part of my brain take over. I screamed for about 3 hours as I went through transition but it was totally an out of body experience but in a good way. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a really long labour and was so focused inward I didn't want to eat so I kept my energy up with Up 'n' go's and orange juice.

I had a water birth and the warm pool water helped but I found the shower even better. I held the shower head over my belly and back while contracting.

I would say the thing that got me through was my amazing support team (midwives and partner). I was for the most part left alone but they were right there when I did need them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bouncing on fitness ball. Warm wheat bag for my back at right timing by husband during contractions (had epidural in the middle of my labour to sleep for awhile, before allowing it to wear off sufficiently to push and birth standing up).

Pretty much blocking everything out towards the end, although at one stage I did ask what the time was, as I had no concept of how much time was passing. Son born not long after that.