+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Methods to prepare for a natural birth.

Hey ladies,
    Looking for any srategies you may have used before and during that you found helpful during your natural labour?
    Maybe music that helped, stretches, a drink that helped keep your energy up...

Sent from my GT-I8150T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Movement and water helped me birth DS drug free. I found pacing/ swaying/ rocking through contractions really helped and being in the shower halved my contraction pains.

ETA: in terms of prep before labour, I did lots of bouncing on the fitball and exercises on my hands and knees to help bub get into a good position
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 20-02-2013 at 11:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I had a 30 hour natural birth drug free labour [26 hours at home] and I found the methods in Birth Skills [book] were my saviour. I also did pregnancy yoga and had a few exercises in there that helped me push through the contractions.

My birth mantra was "One less contraction until I meet my newest soulmate."

I also hypnobirthed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to salamat For This Useful Post:

babehmamma  (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Birth pool - and the people present. I needed an experienced, supportive woman to be with me while I birthed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Calm birth and just staying as relaxed and calm as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd recommend Birth Skills as well.

Whilst pregnant, there were some things that I thought might be useful and some that seemed ridiculous (for me). When it came down to it, I used counting for pretty much the whole labour up until I started pushing (3 days of irregular but STRONG contractions, and a few hours of active labour).

I counted 1,2,3,4 at a particular rhythm in my head, and squeezed a stress ball in time. As the contractions got stronger I started hitting it on something in time with my counting. I then alternated hitting it (hard) on a door frame with stamping up and down the hall. Eventually ended up in the bath which was great, and hit my hair brush against the side of the bath (it held up surprisingly well... all the glue separated but otherwise you'd never know).

Oh, one other thing was that our toilet is very close to our bath, and I found it reasonably comfortable to sit on the toilet with my feet up on the edge of the bath, and push back as hard as I could with my feet (hope that makes sense).

Thanks
    Reviews

I drunk small sips of cordial in labour after vomiting A fair few times, will def have it again - don't remember it taking pain away obviously but any distraction helps and certainly settled my stomach (somehow).

Also breathing in & out strongly & slowly during contractions and say 'mmmmmmm' out loud if it helps you.

I sat on the shower on a fit ball too with the water on my back but no bath was available, lookig forward to trying a bath this time!

I had a long drug free labour.

Thanks
    Reviews

I found that doing pre natal yoga really taught me about breathing and I found the techniques really usefully in labour.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Methods to prepare for a natural birth.

I can def recommend the book birth skills as well. I found the techniques great and the whole tone of the book just put me in a positive frame of mind. I really believed I had the power in myself to get through it.

Every contraction I leapt to my feet, swayed my hips, and 'aaaahhhh'd in regular rhythm.

Also, it's important to stay hydrated to keep your energy up. Right at the beginning the midwife gave my dh a bottle of water and said 'your job is to give her a drink after every contraction'. He did this dutifully and I stayed nice and hydrated

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used hydralyte sachets and my birth team kept mixing them with water and giving me sips using a straw, they helped heaps. You can buy them from the chemist. I hate sports drinks but these were fine. Good luck remember three words 'pain is progress'