+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Centrelink question Urgent

Hi everyone im new here and i have a serious question as im in a bit of a situation.

OK let me begin im on SPP and work part time and live with my best friend who is a single dad also (centrelink know) we have been close friends since we were younger and he fought really hard to get custody of his daughter , and with the price to live in sydney neither of us could get our own place (renting) so we decided to move in together, he is a very comminted father and dosnt go out or chat up girls or anything he has been very heartbroken and dosnt want it happening again, we both also study and he trying really hard to look for a job

EDIT he is also on single parenting payment

But around xmas time we were having a few drinks as we were going to our familys house for a few days, And things got a bit out of hand i admit and we had a one night stand ( please dont judge me iv never dont it before) i was diagnosed with entrimisioisis a few years ago and was told id find it difficult to fall pregnant , however that one time and i have fallen pregnant.

I dont know what to do i cant have an abortion because his family found out and they will disown him and i cant do it to a baby knowing i might find it hard to fall pregnant as i do want more kids when i find the right person, the amount if stress it has out on me has caused me to be hospitalised 3 times in just under 10 weeks , which a eptopic pregnany was ruled out due to my pain. also the stress on him gives him constant chest painas he does not have a very strong heart which he has to be checked up for.

i dunno what to do or say we both dont want to be together and neither of us will survive on our own we might not have partners but out friendship is really strong and we are there for eachother in everything.

so my question is what do i tell centrelink will we both be charged or lose our payments his daughter is in primary school year 1 and my son is 3 years old we didnt think this would happen.

please can anyone help do we talk to a social worker at centrelink.

please dont judge me.

thank you for your time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Centrelink asks us to inform them within 14 days if circumstances have changed. You wouldn't notify Centrelink of a one night stand as a general rule.

If your relationship with your male flatmate remains platonic and that's the plan for the future, your circumstances have not changed.

You wouldn't notify Centrelink of a pregnancy.

You would notify Centrelink if your relationship became marriage like or you had a baby.

If this question is keeping you awake at night you could make an anonymous call to Centrelink to double-check. Better still, get a friend to ask for you.

Thanks
    Reviews

The issue is, the situation you are in, isnt common. They may have a hard time believing you were not partnered that whole time when a baby had been conceived, even though you say you werent.

So, its going to be hard I think to convince them that your baby's father shares the same address as you but you are not in a relationship.

Congratulations on your pregnancy btw.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salamat For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (20-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Centrelink question Urgent

I think it will be tough to convince them you aren't in a relationship.
    Talking to a social worker at centrelink will probably be your best bet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    Is he going to be on the BC? If not then the truth is fine that it is a 1 night stand and you are not naming FOB. If he is going to be on the BC, then you will probably both need to move out separately or risk being partnered in CLs eyes.
    Yes I agree

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

bubbles89  (27-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Not necessarily.. My SIL is not with my BIL and they had a one night whoopsie! She explained to Centrelink when bubs was born and they didn't cut her off or anything! We were all surprised. He's 12 months old now and still no issues with Centrelink. You can be living under the same roof and not be together. You have to sign a stat dec saying you aren't together. You will have to let them know if you have an arrangement with the baby's father or if you need to claim for child support. However if you do decide to be in a relationship you must let them know. If they catch you, you'll have to pay back what you were given.

These things happen. But just make sure you do the right thing by Centrelink and you won't have any problems.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi there whilst not a common circumstance I'm sure there must be a way around it. Maybe you could get some stat declarations from friends and other or even take a photo of the fact you guys have separate rooms. I doubt you would be the first to get pregnant by a room mate.

That being said the fact you guys live together and share expenses may effect payments for this baby??? I second PP get a friend to ring (one who is not on centrelink) we can only guess.

Also congrats on your pregnancy. I know so much must be going through your mind but try to be gentle and take care of yourself and your bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews

Please look after yourself! X
    You don't have to inform centrelink of anything yet - they don't need to know until after the birth, so you have a while to sort this out. So please (try) to stop stressing. (Both of you!)
    I think your best bet is to call and ask, or have a friend call and ask. I think that a stat dec may assist in supporting your claim that you're both still single.
    Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for the responses

Ill have to get someone to call and ask centrelink what to do as i cant they arnt the easiest to talk to but ill get someone to call.

We aren't together, it will be hard to prove even if we do have seperate rooms, we do share expenses, and i would move if that meant he wouldnt be cut off his payments but he wont survive, he had an interview on his birthday with centrelink and they said his payments will be dropping and he has to look for work his studying wasnt even enough i thought when the child was 8 and study was ok but they said its not.

i can move as i have family in sydney and his mother and youngest brother and sister moved overseas his other brother sisters are here his dad passed away at 57 he had a heart disease and at the same time travalling 24 hours there and back to VIC to see his lawyer for custody of his daughter which he did for 6months he is the strongest man emotionally that i know , i know he will be allright but its his daughter id be afraid for as if he has no money coz centrelink cutt him off his ex will get her back as he wont be able to support her.

and ill be honest i actually thought he was gay/bi coz he never would chat up girls or anything he is only 26 years old but his daughter is very protective of her dad as she witness all the abuse his crazy ex gave him and she dosnt wanna see him get hurt.

I just dont want people thinking we are ripping off centrelink which i know alot of people do.

do you guys reckon theres a way we can prove to centrelink that were ARE NOT together, and still live together in support of both his and my child and the bub?

And thanks everyone iv calm down alot thanks to your guys responses its very much appreciated

thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    *hugs* OP thats gotta be a tough thing to be going through.

I just wanted to know though, according to CL you *are* in a relationship. I just wanted to look into it and it says:
    If you are a member of a couple, we do not usually assess your relationship. When an assessment is needed, the following factors are considered:
    • finances
    • social relationships
    • nature of your household
    • presence or absence of a sexual relationship, and
    • nature of the commitment.
    I dont understand how they can say you are not in one if you clearly had sex with each other, share finances, go out together and are so commited to being there and helping. I hope though that they will see that you two are just good friends who on occasion sleep together
    I personally dont see a thing wrong with your arrangement and I truely hope you dont have a problem with CL when the time comes.
    Best of luck!!