+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No way would I pay for your ghd. You shouldn't have put an electrical item next to a blocked sink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. It isn't usually left there, I just placed it down to cool before I put it in the draw and forgot. I understand it was my fault now so definitely won't be asking the real estate anything other then to fix the sink.

I wasn't aware that the leaking tap would be my problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Tenant repair question

Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    You are going to hate my answer sorry. I think there are two issues here, that the sink is blocked and the tap leaking. Does the tap need a new washer? Is that why it's dripping? Washers are a tenant responsibility not the owners, so the dripping tap is not the owners fault, unless you have changed the washer and it still drips. You knew the sink was blocked but still left your GHD next to it even though you knew the sink was blocked. If I was the land lord I would say "sorry not my problem".
    I think that is dependant upon your lease. Mine states that all leaking taps are the owners responsibility. I change the washers anyway as it's just easier and less of a hassle.

Op, i don't think you will have much luck being compensated.
    If the RE are being slack in regards to repairs, write to them and state the issue and give a period of time in which it must be fixed. If they don't oblige under that time frame you can take the issue further.

Some issues, if they neglect to repair them you can get your own plumber out and send them a bill.
    We've had to do it with a blocked toilet the owner refused to fix.

Getting in touch with your local tenancy advocacy serivice in these sorts of situations can be helpful as they can advise you exactly what rights and responsibilites you do have.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Mummy pig  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy pig View Post
    Hi ladies, quick question regarding tenant repairs.
    About 2 weeks ago I had a house inspection and let the pm know about 2 repairs I needed. The first one is that the clothes line is falling apart and the second is our bathroom sink is blocked. Our real estate has always been quick to let the owner know and repairs are done 24 hours - a week.

I still haven't heard anything and when I came home this afternoon, the tap had dripped (has always sometimes) and because the sink is blocked, it overflowed. There was water all on the floors but I think I got to it just in time.

But here's my problem, my GHD (my baby) was sitting next to the sink and got wet. I've now got it sitting in a container of rice hoping it draws out any moisture. If its ruined, will I be able to put in some complaint as it wouldn't of been wet had they fixed the tap/sink?

I'm so frustrated!

Thankyou
    I doubt it. For a start it'd be very hard to prove that it was done by the overflowing sink and not dropped in a bath by mistake or something.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, contact GHD customer service.

I had a friend who broke her GHD 3 or 4 years after she bought it, and for $30, GHD sent her out a new updated version and a huge bag of goodies too.

Just see what they might be willing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsImpatient View Post
    OP, contact GHD customer service.

I had a friend who broke her GHD 3 or 4 years after she bought it, and for $30, GHD sent her out a new updated version and a huge bag of goodies too.

Just see what they might be willing to do.
    Really? My one I had prior to this one was 2 years old and suddenly stopped working and they wanted something like $80 to repair it, I ended up buying a new one. Thankyou though, might be worth a try if it doesn't work. Its been in rice so it might be saved!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really? My one I had prior to this one was 2 years old and suddenly stopped working and they wanted something like $80 to repair it, I ended up buying a new one. Thankyou though, might be worth a try if it doesn't work. Its been in rice so it might be saved!

Well, that's what my friend told me... I did not see the bill or the goodies, so can't verify.

But still, might be worth chatting to em.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Where are you? In NSW leaking taps are a landlord's responsibility. We even recommended that if u do know how to change washers you still probably shouldn't, because if you do something wrong and it causes a larger problem then you are responsible for paying for the larger problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I'm in NSW. Wouldn't even have a clue how to change the washers lol.
    Thanks for the info but.

My GHD is under warranty aswell so they have offered to send me a new one if I send in the old one. It turns on/heats up though so don't know if I will.

I also went into my real estate on Wednesday and they again said they'd get onto the blocked sink. Haven't heard anything yet. Fingers crossed its soon.

How long are they able to take to fix a repair do you know?

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Yeah I'm in NSW. Wouldn't even have a clue how to change the washers lol.
    Thanks for the info but.

My GHD is under warranty aswell so they have offered to send me a new one if I send in the old one. It turns on/heats up though so don't know if I will.

I also went into my real estate on Wednesday and they again said they'd get onto the blocked sink. Haven't heard anything yet. Fingers crossed its soon.

How long are they able to take to fix a repair do you know?

thanks
    Put in writing that you want the issue rectified within 7 days, otherwise you will take the matter further.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub