+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tenant repair question

Hi ladies, quick question regarding tenant repairs.
    About 2 weeks ago I had a house inspection and let the pm know about 2 repairs I needed. The first one is that the clothes line is falling apart and the second is our bathroom sink is blocked. Our real estate has always been quick to let the owner know and repairs are done 24 hours - a week.

I still haven't heard anything and when I came home this afternoon, the tap had dripped (has always sometimes) and because the sink is blocked, it overflowed. There was water all on the floors but I think I got to it just in time.

But here's my problem, my GHD (my baby) was sitting next to the sink and got wet. I've now got it sitting in a container of rice hoping it draws out any moisture. If its ruined, will I be able to put in some complaint as it wouldn't of been wet had they fixed the tap/sink?

I'm so frustrated!

Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im not sure, id say probably not. If you knew the sink was blocked and might overflow they might argue that you should have put valuable items out of harms way. Id get onto them about the repairs though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Tenant repair question

You could try, but I doubt you'd get anything. check with the agent, it's possible that they've already organised a plumber, and the plumber has just been booked solid and hasn't had time to get there yet.

It's no one's fault, just one of those sucky things that happens.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

You are going to hate my answer sorry. I think there are two issues here, that the sink is blocked and the tap leaking. Does the tap need a new washer? Is that why it's dripping? Washers are a tenant responsibility not the owners, so the dripping tap is not the owners fault, unless you have changed the washer and it still drips. You knew the sink was blocked but still left your GHD next to it even though you knew the sink was blocked. If I was the land lord I would say "sorry not my problem".

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    You are going to hate my answer sorry. I think there are two issues here, that the sink is blocked and the tap leaking. Does the tap need a new washer? Is that why it's dripping? Washers are a tenant responsibility not the owners, so the dripping tap is not the owners fault, unless you have changed the washer and it still drips.
    Really? We've had a few leaky taps and the real estate has sent someone around to fix for us each time.

But yes, I think the real estate and landlord will think it's your responsibility to keep valuables from the blocked drain.

Thanks
    Reviews

As a landlord there is no way I would pay for your GHD. That is contents and your responsibility. Sorry

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi OP, sorry to hear about your GHD!

Do you have contents insurance? If you do, you may be able to claim a replacement GHD through insurance. It depends on your policy though... The excess might be more than the GHD is worth though?

Anyway, it's worthwhile checking your policy if you have one.

Thanks
    Reviews

I work in real estate and the taps leaks are tenant responsibility. The blocked drained should be fixed by the agencies plumber but if it was blocked due to hair or ear buds or dental floss down the drain it would be a tenant charge. As for your GHD you could claim on renters insurance or if the blocked sink is not your fault you could explain what happened to your pm - they might ask the owner to go halves in the repair/replacement. Hope this helps! Each case is so different

Thanks
    Reviews

Also check your states real estate page - ours is reiwa.com.au for WA x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I agree I don't think you can ask them to pay for your GHD, have you put it in writing the repairs you require? I know when I was renting I would tell the agent and nothing would happen until I emailed a "notice to repair" form, legally they have to respond in a certain timeframe once the form is lodged.