+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Preparing a babysitter (bf baby)

Love any helpful suggestions on prepping bub and babysitter for me to have a night out with DH (how exciting!)

He is not the best sleeper so could wake after we leave and usually needs mummy to go to sleep or sometimes feed to sleep. He is bf and I recently tried him on a bottle of ebm and seriously he would not have a bar of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the same issue.

Have you tried getting your DH to try to feed him the EBM, perhaps when you're out of the room? It may be that he knows the real thing is right there. Perhaps if he sits down with him, gives him a cuddle...maybe try draping him in a t-shirt you've worn, putting a few drops of nice warm EBM on his lips?

Also, might be worth experimenting with different nipples on bottles.

Does he take a dummy? Dipping it in EBM might help him make a positive association between a teat and something he likes.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks..he wont take a dummy either. Will get DH to try I think. It was so funny he looked at me like I was a crazy person when I tried to put the teat in!
    I should only be out for 3 hours max from 8pm so he shouldn't be hungry but will probably want comfort.
    I also tried ebm in his straw cup but he didn't like that either. I was really hoping to skip the bottle altogether as he is 10mo now.

Keep the suggestions coming please I'd really like to go out without fretting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

not sure how long u have to prep? We recently went away with the in laws and they babysat our dd who is almost 10 months and bf to sleep...i can say the second night was a disaster! Altho we left before she wasnt asleep so prob bad move there! Bub cried almost the whole time we were gone.....we should have gotten the pram out etc before we left...if bub wont take a bottle then personally i wouldnt bother...just make sure he is tired, what other ways can he fall asleep? Pram, in the car? Rocked, patted Etc....have all these ways ready to go for the babysitter....also be very specific and get them to ring u if he will not settle as tbh i was peeved that dd was left to be so upset and i would have rather have come home even tho i was out with dh, it would give me peace of mind iykwim cos it took me 2 hours to settle her when we got back! Good luck, its hard to get a night out and i loved the 2 hours we got regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i agree with jfblady, ditch the bottle idea and have other comforting suggestions for the babysitter. does he like the car, cuddles, rocking, watching tv...? Let them know that if he wakes, they don't have to get him back to sleep at all costs.

even if he wakes and is still awake when you get home it's not going to hurt him, and a night out for you can be so energising and refreshing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

waitsee  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the good tips. I'm still a little worried that he is going to wake and freak as he has never met the babysitter. Good suggestions on just getting him up and distracting him..he loves tv so I will get a dvd ready and the pram also. Although with a cuddle and rocking he should be okay..I didn't say how long she would need to rock for though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would introduce him to the babysitter before your night out, so at least he has met them before.