+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birthday party with school friends question

Last year for DD's 5th it was first term of prep so I invited the whole class as DD hadn't made any real friends yep. We had it at a gymnastics school and the price was per head with a minimum number. I asked for RSVPs a week before the party and hardly got any. So I invited some more kids to get to the minimum number and yes you guessed it the day before the party at least 15 parents sent me texts/phoned me to say "oh sorry I'm a bit late to RSVP but x is coming to the party". I was livid and still getting "yes" RSVPs a couple of hours before the party! At least one kid turned up who hadn't replied at all. Grr. Everyone thinks oh it won't matter if there's just one more... But when the majority do it then yes it does matter!

There ended up being 25 kids, it cost me the earth but DD had fun (I think).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We go to indoor play centres, their packages cover 10 kids. Because there are 6 with my kids and family and her best friend has a younger sibling, we allow 13 kids so she gets to invite 6 of her friends.

I don't think you have to invite the whole class. Plus for DD we do fairy or girls themed parties. I don't think the boys would enjoy it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its just driving me mental already lol Last year in kindy he had those friends, this year the 2 kindy classes have become two preprimary classes and his friends from last year are in both his class this year and in the other class. So he has friends in both classes.

Im not going to be doing a 'boy' theme, because he has a lot of girl friends... Actually he tells me today that the twin girls in his class called him cute today and a mother told me DS1 is all her DD ever talks about... Poor girl though, DS didnt even know her name! I do remember though her being there on the first day of school and I sent DS over to say hello to her because she was going to be in his class. lol Its so cute.

Im really stressing over people and turning up. If they RSVP yes they are coming, then dont turn up. If they dont RSVP at all and either turn up or dont. Last minute desisions and all that.
    I was thinking just an indoor play center, but we have already done that... BUT at least this will be with actual friends and not just my old school friends kids and family. Plus with a play centre, I should have to worry about a theme too much.

So, Im thinking invite 10ish friends along.... One mum that I talk with all the time has 3 DDs and all 3 of them I will invite as both my boys love them. So I might count them as one lol

OMG Its really hard because he is such a social butterfly and everyone loves him there and he has a lot of friends

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We invite the whole class in kindy and prep while our kids are still establishing friendships. The only thing I'd say is if you do decide to only invite a few try and be discreet (well as discreet as an excited 5 yo can be). It used to really hurt DD1's feelings when she'd see kids handing out invitations and she didn't receive one. I know it's life but they're still learning. I would just leave them in the pigeon hole or something like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My kids only have a few friends (5 to 10).

My kids have been to many whole class parties and just friend parties, they always have more fun at the friends only parties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My DD1 is in kindy (nsw first year of school) this year, she's been to 2 parties already and both had 6-10 kids from school.

DD's bday isn't till july so she should have established friendships by then so ill likely tell her she can choose 10-12 kids for her party

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and our invitations go into the parent/teacher communication envelope that goes to and from school each day so theres no invitation handing out by the kids which i like

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done both (invited just a few most years, and 1 year invited the whole class but there was only 16 kids in the whole class lol).

I sort of have "rules" for myself lol

I won't invite more than 1/2 the class unless I am inviting all.

I won't just leave out 1 or 2 of the same gender (ie DS would have happily had 7 of the 9 boys in his class...but i would not single those 2 out by leaving them out if that makes sense).

It is sort of "do unto others", and try and make sure i would not do to another child something that would hurt my own if the situation reversed. Other parents don't always do the same, but that is not my say and if it happens and DS is hurt, i simply explain that not everyone can be invited and that the other child must have had a limit to stick to and sadly, this time, he was not within that limit.

In my experience, most people RSVP...we were lucky though as our old school used to hand out a list of peoples contact details so I had everyone's email/mobile number and if i had not heard by the RSVP cut off I would send a bulk text and remind people I needed to confirm numbers lmao.

DS is at a new school now and i have NO ONE's details. We are throwing a small party for him in May...he is allowed to invite 5 kids. If this would end up leaving 1 or 2 our from his group of friends (which will have had the next few months to develop) then I would let him add a few more.

I think different schools/communities have different expectations party/birthday wise. The class captain has the same birthday as DS and they are becoming really good friends...this kids mum has been really friendly and welcoming so I am warming up to asking her what the norm for birthdays are lol

SO, i guess my suggestion is....go with your gut on what you want for your DD but also be mindful of peoples feelings. Often, the teacher is happy to pop invites into the kids "notes" folder...can save the hurt feelings a little but kids will talk about it before/after so it won't be a secret lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post

I sort of have "rules" for myself lol

I won't invite more than 1/2 the class unless I am inviting all.

I won't just leave out 1 or 2 of the same gender (ie DS would have happily had 7 of the 9 boys in his class...but i would not single those 2 out by leaving them out if that makes sense).
    I have these rules too.

Thanks
    Reviews

We just had DS's 6th bday party at a play centre. He invited 16 kids and 15 RSVP'd and came along. I was expecting a few non goers but it didn't happen.

Having a January birthday he started a new class this year for grade 1 so I wasn't sure who/what kids he'd like to invite ie new friends or old friends. In the end it was 3 new and 12 old. I was a bit hung up on the idea he should invite more 'new' friends, but in the end I let it go and let DS decide. It was 2 hours of fun for him and that was the most important thing.