+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default School Behaviour Advice Please

My DS is 6.5 and in year 1 at school. The other day he came home and told me he got in trouble a few times for continuing to talk on the mat. He got a reminder and then sent out of the room. I thanked him for telling me and we talked about the behaviour. For the next three days he has come home and told me the same thing.....now also adding that he doesn't care that he gets in trouble for it.

Now my question is, at what point do I give him a consequence myself? Do I let just the school handle it and leave what happens at school at school, or try to nip it in the bud straight away..??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you need to set a consequence. At the end of the day if a child thinks that their parents don't care if they get in trouble they're not going to care if they get in trouble at school. Only so much a school can do. The more he gets sent out of the classroom the more he's missing out on learning.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default School Behaviour Advice Please

I think that it's been three days and he's admitted to not caring about getting in trouble, you should start to step in. Talk to his teacher about it (if you start setting consequences, he won't tell you he's doing it so you'll need the teacher to tell you) and set a consequence so he knows he really shouldn't be doing it.

Also it might be good before setting the consequence to know why he keeps doing it and why he doesn't care about getting in trouble.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

Renesme  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    I think you need to set a consequence. At the end of the day if a child thinks that their parents don't care if they get in trouble they're not going to care if they get in trouble at school. Only so much a school can do. The more he gets sent out of the classroom the more he's missing out on learning.
    Thanks for your reply.

This is so unlike my DS and I am surprised it is happening actually which makes me want to stop it straight away. I understand it happening now and then but three days in a row?

What do you suggest a suitable consequence should be, what would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I think that it's been three days and he's admitted to not caring about getting in trouble, you should start to step in. Talk to his teacher about it (if you start setting consequences, he won't tell you he's doing it so you'll need the teacher to tell you) and set a consequence so he knows he really shouldn't be doing it.
    Also it might be good before setting the consequence to know why he keeps doing it and why he doesn't care about getting in trouble.
    I have asked him why and he won't really answer he me, just says I don't know. He is a gifted child so gets bored quite easily but he still needs to follow the rules.

It has all been said to me by him, his teacher hasn't mentioned it. I am seeing her tonight at a meet & greet night so will see what her take is on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    I have asked him why and he won't really answer he me, just says I don't know. He is a gifted child so gets bored quite easily but he still needs to follow the rules.

It has all been said to me by him, his teacher hasn't mentioned it. I am seeing her tonight at a meet & greet night so will see what her take is on it.
    Definitely bring it up with her before setting consequences I think. It's important you're on the same page and let your DS in on the conversation so he also is aware that everyone is on the same page. Until you chat with the teacher it can be difficult to know the context. Good luck tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Definitely bring it up with her before setting consequences I think. It's important you're on the same page and let your DS in on the conversation so he also is aware that everyone is on the same page. Until you chat with the teacher it can be difficult to know the context. Good luck tonight.
    Thankyou