+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What to look for in an Obstetrician?

I'm wondering what questions I should be asking or what I should be looking out for when choosing an ob? Apart from their fees & the hospitals they deliver at is there anything else major to consider? I have not lived in Melbourne long so i don't know a lot of people to ask for recommendations. I have read that some ob's have ultrasound machines in their rooms, would this be an advantage & something to consider? Do you get more scans or anything if you can get an ultrasound at their rooms compared to if you get a referral to get your scan done elsewhere? I guess I would also ask who would be there for the delivery if they were unavailable. I'm just planning ob's in advance as we are still TTC but any info or advice you can give would be great

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I have no idea about choosing obs. When I had my first gp appointment he gave me three to choose from. One of them I knew as she did a biopsy on me last year and honestly she scared me so I picked one that the name sounded familiar and turned out to be the best decision!

The pros from my ob (if this helps you):
    - ultrasound in his room so a small check up of bub. Really puts your mind at ease.
    - very informative. He gave me so many medical journal articles about circumcision, SIDS, sleeping and a heap of other things.

There's more but my brain is being silly, ill come back soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I worked out which hospital I wanted to go to, and picked an ob from the list my healthfund gave me, that delivers at that hospital.

In room ultrasound is beneficial because you get to see bub more often and it's reassuring. I still needed to go to ultrasound place for 12 and 20 week scans.

After first appt, hubby and I felt comfortable with our ob, so stuck with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was phoning around trying to get information about different OBs, I was amazed (and annoyed) at the different treatment from their receptionists. Several were unwilling to provide any information whatsoever - they wouldn't divulge fees until you'd booked and sent through a referral, and they certainly wouldn't talk about birthing practices. I figured that doctors who hired a nasty receptionist were probably lacking in empathy and social skills themselves. Needless to say, the OB I ended up going with was one whose receptionist was lovely and helpful and tried really hard to answer my questions! She also offered to make an appointment for me to talk to his midwife before booking, which the others didn't.

In the end, I actually gleaned more information about the various OBs from doing google searches of forums like this one, and asking my GP for her opinion (based on what patients had told her). I think that reading other patients' stories and opinions is a good way to gauge what someone is like and to get an idea of how they really react in various situations. I also chose my OB in part because forum posters felt that he'd been non-interventionist and hadn't foisted unwanted procedures on them. I wanted someone who was going to listen and treat me with respect, rather than try and make me do what was most convenient for him/her.

Thanks
    Reviews

This is my first time using an obstetrician but my 3rd child I'm not even sure if my last two doctors were obs or just GP's I'm really liking the ultrasound in the room, I haven't had I make additional appointments ( aside from the NT one coming up ) and I get a little print out of bub each time. Which is more then what I can say for the previous pregnancies I had.

Especially with my second pregnancy it was a mess from beginning to end with lots of complications so I wish I had of been referred to a obstetrician!

My obstetrician bulk bills and if I go into labour when he isn't scheduled to work I will have one of the on duty obstetricians deliver my baby which to me is a fair compromise. Seeing as I'm not being charged the pregnancy management fee but getting what I think is the same service minus a fee things. but to me that isn't vital. If I was high risk again this time round I'd maybe think differently.

In fact I'm just happy to have a doctor that concentrates more in pregnancy then normal GP ailments and appointments!

Thanks
    Reviews

Most OB's want to see you before 9wks so it's good to get in early.

Having a good receptionist is good as if your OB is held up in delivery you want her to contact you to reschedule so your sitting there for hours.

I think the most important thing is finding someone who listens to you, and who answers your questions.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you so much everyone! I will have to put a list of questions together for when I start ringing around!