+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Epidural

Im attempting a vb but want an epidural. I want a relaxing birth with the experience of trying my best to push bub out.

how long does it take from ordering an epi to the dr coming and inserting it. I want to be prepared lol. I have heard it takes 1hr for the dr to get there, was this your experience or did it take shorter or longer.

does it hurt and how long does it last. Say I have a 10 hour labour before pushing, will the epi hold the whole 10 hours.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Epidural

Subbing as I'd like to know as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epidural with my son and will be having another for my upcoming birth. For me it took 3 hours from requesting the epi to it being done. The time really depends on if there is anyone around to give you one. I had to wait for a surgery to finish before mine could be administered. My epi lasted about 8 hours including pushing for 3 hours and I didn't feel a single thing. I was in so much pain I didn't even feel the epidural being administered.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Epidural

1st bubba dr was their in 10 mins, 2nd time about 45. It really depends on how busy they are, obviously their priorities are with emergency surgery. Didn't hurt as I was in so much pain from labour i didn't care. Epi lasts a long as you want, they just keep topping it up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Epidural

I had to wait 3 hours as well, not sure how long they last usually as mine didn't take properly and only lasted about an hour. Good luck for your birth, hope it goes well!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Epidural

I was in a large private hospy, took 20 mins from when I asked (screamed) for one to absolute bliss :-). I didn't feel it go in at all but my labour was posterior so the pain was in my back anyway.
    I started pushing an hour later and it was amazing, I could feel the pressure of DD but no pain. This time I'll be getting an Epi MUCH sooner.
    I'm pretty sure they last as long as you need, the docs just turn them up and down.
    Also the anaesthetist told me he can tell which patients will get a migrane after (can be a side effect) and he knew I wouldn't. And he was right!
    We had NO ill effects. Bub was all good, b/feeding fine.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Epidural

I was induced last week and always wanted an epidural. For me, the induction gels irritated my internals too much that they HAD to give me the epidural if the doctor was to have any chance of breaking my water - the pain was too intense for me to let him up there! It took about 45 mins for the epi guy to get there, about 30 to put it in and 20 to take effect.

It was topped up hourly so I never felt the contractions with the induction drip except for a small patch of breakthrough pain (that is common). However, once I was around 8-9cm the midwife said I had to let it wear off so I could feel to push and before I knew it it had worn off and I was delivering without pain relief - something I was trying to avoid! I don't know if that is standard practice in hospitals, because I thought the midwives would tell you when you're having a contraction so that you can push even without feeling the contraction.

So, for me the epidural was a godsend in that I didn't have hours of painful contractions wearing me out but delivery hurt like a b!tch! As for the time between asking and getting one, it depends on the hospital - mine only had an on-call anaethstetist and if it was the middle of the night I may not have been able to have one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Epidural

Mine was pretty quick, didn't take too long to insert, and it lasted till the end because they can top it up as needed. They let it wear off a bit for the end but not too much (I just felt pressure).
    It was really effective and I will be asking for one right away next time.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think probably about 15 minutes after the doctor asked me if I wanted an epi the anesthetist came in. Took her about 15 minutes from go to whoa to get it in but that was because I was lying down.
    Once I was sitting up she got it in first go.

That was at about 4pm in the arvo though so probably right after all the scheduled ops had been seen to for the day. You really have to get lucky on timing I think. The doctor asked me if I wanted an epi when I was 4cm dilated. She said that she wouldn't normally ask that early but because of the time of day it would be better to ask the anesthetist earlier rather than later.

I've heard of women having it take several hours and sometimes even of women asking for it and ending up pushing bub out before the anesthetist even got there because they were too busy to attend. I don't want to scare you! Just be prepared that it may take some time. Depends on the workload and time of day/night I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Epidural

10 mins for me.