+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Choosing Godparents

Hi All,
    I was baptised into the Catholic Church as a baby, and while my husband isn't baptised at all, he is happy with my wishes to have our baby baptised Catholic as well (I've joked to him that maybe we can have a double baptism for him and our bub - he wasn't too impressed with the idea haha). However I have no idea who to choose as the godparents. I have 2 sisters, one of these sisters has 2 children, my other sister is godmother to our niece and hubby and I are godparents to our nephew. So I'd love my sister who is the mother of the kids to be the godmother as we're quite close and she hasn't had the honour of being a godparent yet. But then I don't know who to have as the godfather. My sisters husband could be godfather but that would just be a convenience thing, we're not actually all that close to him, we get along really well but he's so absent minded and I don't agree with some of his parenting styles so in terms of the traditional purpose of godparents which is to take care of the child should something happen to the parents, I wouldn't want him to be the father-figure in their lives.

I then have my SIL who I think would love to be asked to be a godparent, however she can probably wait til we have child #2 to be a godparent, otherwise it's just far too complicated!

So a thought I had was maybe having 2 godmothers, i.e. both of my sisters, and not having a godfather. I know it's not the traditional way of doing things but wondering whether the church would allow this, or whether it depends on the particular parish / priest? Otherwise the godfather will just be chosen for the sake of having a male godparent, whereas I know my 2 sisters would be the perfect godparents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think u could do that, have both your sisters and no male to be a godfather.

I've seen that sort of thing before so I think if you're comfortable with that arrangement then that is fine.

I do think it is up to the individual parish though, some are a bit more old school than others!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My dd got baptised about 4 months ago and she has two god mothers. And I got baptised 26ish years ago and I have two god mothers so I think you will be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I also think they will be fine. I was baptised a long time ago and have one god mother that's it. I think sticking with family is great. Just remember depending how many kids you have you will always need more! Good luck jr!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The role of the godparent really isn't to 'take care of teh child if something happens to the parent' though is it?
    -- that is a nominated legal gaurdian.
    I thought the role of the godparent was to keep them connected to and guide them in your selevted faith?
    so who whoever you think will be best for that part. having two females is not uncommon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    The role of the godparent really isn't to 'take care of teh child if something happens to the parent' though is it?
    -- that is a nominated legal gaurdian.
    I thought the role of the godparent was to keep them connected to and guide them in your selevted faith?
    so who whoever you think will be best for that part. having two females is not uncommon.
    Traditionally and maybe originally, I think the purpose of god parents was to take care of the children but I think the church does now view them as a religious teacher / guide. I don't even want to think about legal guardians - either of my sisters would be great but just not so sure about their other halves!