+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks all. I'm so confused! For all those who say to 'try' for a VB that's not really the issue. I have complete confidence I can get the head out but its then the problems would start. Trying kind of sounds like try and if things don't work out then an emergency section will be needed but in a shoulder dystocia its too late for a section. This is my issue. Try a VB and zee if I get shoulder dystocia or go the elective ceased and never know but avoid shoulder dystocia? Its not the weight its the abdo to head ratio which is why SD happens in normal weight babies. . If the head takes over the abdo it won't be such a risk. I guess the topic heading is a bit misleading! I don't mean to be so negative and I Ppriciate all the positive comments and stories...I just keep think of worse case scenario s!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you read anything that Ina May Gaskin has written on shoulder dystocia?

This is not written by her but discusses her
    http://www.lifepassages.net/ShoulderDystocia.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

Ive had a sd bub followed by my next delivery being a csection.

My csection was my worst delivery ever & I'm not looking forward to doing it again.

However the physical implications for my sd bub I also don't want to repeat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Thanks all. I'm so confused! For all those who say to 'try' for a VB that's not really the issue. I have complete confidence I can get the head out but its then the problems would start. Trying kind of sounds like try and if things don't work out then an emergency section will be needed but in a shoulder dystocia its too late for a section. This is my issue. Try a VB and zee if I get shoulder dystocia or go the elective ceased and never know but avoid shoulder dystocia? Its not the weight its the abdo to head ratio which is why SD happens in normal weight babies. . If the head takes over the abdo it won't be such a risk. I guess the topic heading is a bit misleading! I don't mean to be so negative and I Ppriciate all the positive comments and stories...I just keep think of worse case scenario s!
    I would really talk it through with your OB and follow his or her advice on this one.

I think it also depends on how important a 'type' of birth is to you. By that, I mean that it is very important to some people to have a VB, but for some others it's not such an important thing.

I had a c-section for DD, based on advice from my medical team. I have heard that others with the same medical issue I had gave birth successfully (and I have heard of many who suffered problems/ complications from attempting a VB). However, for me, the most important thing was that the baby came out in the lowest risk way possible - whether that was VB or C/S. For me it was C/S, and that was fine. (And, FWIW, I had a great experience with my C/S and no problems at all.)

If it had been important to me to have a VB (for any number of reasons) then maybe I would have felt differently. But I feel happy with the birth that I had. It was a good experience, and the main result (baby + me healthy and well) was achieved.

If the 'type' of birth isn't of overriding importance to you, then it may help to talk through the pros and cons of each type with your OB and then select whichever is most likely to mean a lower risk birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone's different - but personally I would go for VB.

My babies have been:
    1) 8lb 4oz
    2) 9lb 10oz
    3) 10lb 12oz

I had waterbirths with number 2 and number 3, and they were my easiest births, in fact number 3 was all done and dusted in 1hr and I had no tear!!

In retrospect I'm very glad there was no late scans or whatever to stress me out and put the question of size into the equation, and we all had no idea how large my 3rd baby was - it was quite a surprise when she came out and we weighed her!! Of course if I had ended up with a shoulder dystocia I would be saying a different story, but I guess because my body was well prepared to labour and birth, and it hadn't been put to me that she could get stuck, I had full confidence to have a VB.

Hugs to you, I can imagine how difficult it must to decide when you have been given the "worst case scenario" option.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to girlyboo For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 was 9pound 6 and he was born naturally but had shoulder dystocia, we're now ttc #3 and my hubby has all bust said 'you'll be having a c-section'. It was the scariest moment of our lives. A button was pushed, 6 people rushed in, hubby was pushed aside (so much so the OB came and apologized the next day as it was a bit dramatic!), my ankles were forced up by my shoulders and pushed downwards to open up my pelvis and DS2 was born safe and sound. I had 2 degree tearing which required stitches (not like DS1 - 3rd degree tearing - ouchy) Go with your gut instinct, if you'll be pushing and scared bub is going to get stuck just got for a C-section, at least you'll be mentally prepared for the birth / outcome more, well that's just my two bobs worth. Once the head is out you don't have an option - when I was handed the brochure on shoulder dystocia the next day after DS2 was born I was in shock - I had no idea he had been in so much danger. I'm ALL for natural vaginal birth BUT bubs safety is the most important thing and so if I'm recommended a C-section this time I'm not going to fight it! DS1 - 8p 7, DS2 9p 6.... 10p 5 - yikes!! PS I am a 52kg little lady!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I would update this old post as when I was looking I always found posts like this with no outcome which was very frustrating!!In the end I was measuring 5 weeks ahead on fundus and u/sound with a predicted weight of 4.5kg.DS was born naturally at 4.52kg ( 9.96pnds - 10 if he had not done a poo inside I reckon! ) so very accurate however - I did end up with shoulder dystocia, a post-partum hemorrhage , DS had low apgars and was in special care nursery for a few hours and my placenta had to be manually removed. I somehow avoided any tearing which is a miracle and the birth itself was great until the shoulder got stuck and it all went well but only because it was well managed and quickly or it could have been quite serious. Anyway - thought to update
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 26-06-2013 at 23:53.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (27-06-2013),callmedragon22  (28-06-2013),HowCrazyCool  (27-06-2013),SammiJane  (27-06-2013),Uh-Oh  (27-06-2013),~BEXTER~  (28-06-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow, well done!!

So your fears of SD were realised, was the birth really traumatic for you? I'm glad the staff were so responsive.

In the end what made you decide for VB over a C/S?

And yes, thanks for updating, it is really frustrating when stories like this have no end!
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 27-06-2013 at 07:09.