+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My OB friend said that for a baby with the measurements that mine is showing ( abdo 100% and larger then then head) the chance of Shoulder Dystocia is 15-20%...which is not insignificant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB friend said that for a baby with the measurements that mine is showing ( abdo 100% and larger then then head) the chance of Shoulder Dystocia is 15-20%...which is not insignificant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my 5kg (11 pound) son vaginally with only a small tear and just gas. Just because your baby may be big shouldn't mean a definite csearean

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be opting for a VB. If I were really that concerned about baby's size, then I'd rather be opting for an early induction ahead of a c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally I would be likely to opt for a c-section, but I would take my obstetrician's advice (whatever that may be).

The deciding factor for me would be the risk to the baby in terms of what my obstetrician felt likely could happen during a VB.

If the risk of shoulder dystocia were presented to me as 15-20% then, to my mind, the risk to myself and the baby would be too high to proceed with a VB.

While my preferences in a perfect world would be to go for a VB, for me it would really come down to what was the lowest risk option for the baby (and me) at the time, and that option would win.

Good luck in making your decision, OP.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    A 15-20% risk is huge. They would be no question in my mind, unless there's a huge change in the next scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has your Ob discussed with you risks of c section to you and your baby this time, and to you in the future?

I would also be asking what they can offer you to reduce your chances of SD, and what they would do if SD occurred.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

After having a c-section 9 weeks ago, I would avoid it at all costs. I'm still recovering.

I would choose my son's sd birth any day over my dd2's csection birth!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    15-20%? So there is an 80-85% chance of it NOT occuring? Something to think about.

I wouldn't opt for a c/section but it's not my birth. It's yours and you have to do whatever you're more comfortable doing. No-one else can make that decision for you

Just for the record- those scans are notoriously inaccurate. If you were to chose a c/s and your baby turned out to be an 'avergae' size how will you feel? Will you be ok? How will your friendship with your OB friend suffer?
    Also, you know, there are a lot of signs for SD- it's not just about fetal size though that is a contributing factor. But there are many other unable to plan for signs- like a really fast birth for example.
    Ihope you can come up with something that you're happy with

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (27-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

My second baby was 10p 8oz or 4775g, no problems just a small bowel tear, I might have big hips though..? But would want to give it a go anyway. They and I didn't know he would be so big.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub