+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bayside Brisbane
    Posts
    7,027
    Thanks
    1,230
    Thanked
    1,959
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    nah I wouldn't good luck making your decision

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,450
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    555
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd really like to 'try' for a VB but as there is no warning for should dystocia until the head is out. Everything can go well until what should ultimately be the last few minutes and then everything can change and my precious baby is oxygen deprived the entire time. I am sure I could deliver to the head - but if that shoulder gets stuck, then it's stuck and an emergency c-section is too late. It'll all be too late! This will be a long few weeks until this next scan. I don't think it is the size of the baby more then it is the abdo measurement compared to the head measurement. I blame my Maori husband for all of this! I'm tiny - his family are giants!
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 19-02-2013 at 15:52.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked
    222
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a tough choice. Having experienced SD with an 8 pounds 13 baby I personally would definitely choose a CS for a 10 pound baby, and I'm s**t scared of a CS. But you having birthed a big baby already without SD so that's different.
    I guess all you can do is weigh up if trying for a VB and experiencing problems with the shoulders (mild-severe) would be better or worse than having a CS and never knowing what might have happened. I am unsure about C-section risks but that would have to be a consideration also I guess.
    I'm biased by my experience and, as I have admitted, not fully informed about c-sections, but I would still lean towards a c-section in your situation I think.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    13
    Reviews
    0
    Were your previous babies c-sections? If so then I think I would probably opt for a c-section (that's just my own oppinion). My 1st baby was emergency c-section, she got stuck in my pelvis and was only 7 pounds 7 ounces, 34cm head circ. So when they discovered my next baby was alot bigger they recommended I opted for an elective c-section and i'm glad I did, it was a lovely birth.
    I don't have regrets about having c-sections but if you think you might, then I guess it's worth atleast trying??
    Like I said personal choice, you do what you feel is right.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i birthed a 9.5lb bub without any tears. he was my second and my first was 8lb10. I was induced however so not sure if that made a difference. Would you consider an induction? Id go induction over c-section if it was me.
    Having already birthed a big bub id say induction might be a solution.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    472
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked
    137
    Reviews
    1

    Default Re: 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

    I gave birth to my beautiful baby girl last Wednesday at a nice size of 10lb13oz Vaginal drug free birth with a second degree tear caused by the silly vaccuum. She was also a VBAC.

    My first child was 9lb8oz born via csection as he was breech.

    I have no regrets about birthing dd naturally. A csection was not easy for me due to a bad recovery so there was no question that I'd try for a VBAC.

    Your body won't make a baby that you can't birth in my opinion. Do your research/reading to help your decision but a big bubba is not a reason for a csection if there's no other issues.

    Good luck!! Big babies are fabulous!! More to love ♥♥

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Considering you have given birth twice already to larger babies I would at least try a natural birth the third time.

    With my first I was enduced and had a long complicated labour narrowly escaping a cs and he was a large baby for me. It didn't deter me and make me want to opt for a cs for ds2 though. I had done it once, I could manage again if it was to be the case, that's what my ob said to me and I totally agreed. I was noted to be carrying a large baby again and so I had scans to monitor the growth towards later pregnancy and was induced 2 weeks early because of babies size and help to hopefully prevent a repeat of my first labour and birth. I had a quick easy 4hr labour this time round. I had 2 inductions, both experiences totally different and I will no doubt be enduced again if we have a 3rd.

    The lady over the road from me has had 3 large babies. 2 were 10 pounders and the third an 11 pounder. All natural deliveries.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bayswater North Vic
    Posts
    986
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    124
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

    Nope, I'd go for it naturally

    My daughter was 9 pound 4oz and delivered vaginally. I'm kind of expecting this baby I'm pg with now to be big too. Could very well be 10 pound.
    Last edited by Lolakitty; 19-02-2013 at 13:11.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,764
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    465
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    I'd really like to 'try' for a VB but as there is no warning for should dystocia until the head is out. Everything can go well until what should ultimately be the last few minutes and then everything can change and my previous baby is oxygen deprived the entire time. I am sure I could deliver to the head - but if that shoulder gets stuck, then it's stuck and an emergency c-section is too late.
    I don't think it is the size of the baby more then it is the abdo measurement compared to the head measurement.
    You're spot on here. Because you're not going to know if you get a SD birth unless you try for a vaginal delivery.

    The question really isn't "Would you opt for a csection if you were expecting a large baby", but rather, "Would you opt for a csection if there was significant risk of a vaginal birth ending with shoulder dystocia"?

    So, really you're weighing up risk vs potential outcome, which only you and your care-givers can decide on.

    As far as I can tell, the potential outcomes are...

    Vaginal birth with no issues;

    Vaginal birth ending in emergency csection;

    Vaginal birth with SD;

    Or csection (either necessary or unnecessary).


    I hope your scan helps make your decision easier!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

    I birthed my son 10lb 11 oz (4.85kg) with no drugs, no stitches either!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (19-02-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. My ob wants me to have a c-section early due to big baby
    By Mrs E in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 30-11-2012, 18:30
  2. Elective section at 38 weeks - baby complications?
    By MyBabyBells in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 16:37
  3. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 22:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Unique, non-toxic wooden eco toys for babies. Water-based paints, saliva-resistant & baby safe. Super soft, prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton. Hypoallergenic - great for eczema relief. FREE gift with purchase. Code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
The MAMA Centre
Pregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal care by medicare eligible midwives & holistic health practitioners. Massage, chiro, naturopathy, yoga, counselling & beauty therapy
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!