+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

I recently birthed an 11lbs 3oz baby with no tearing or complications, so no, I personally wouldn't opt for a c-section.

My previous babies (excluding my eldest) were all 9lbs something, so it seems I am just built to birth bigger babies. Considering you have already birthed a big baby I would definitely be going ahead with a natural birth but at the end of the day it's up to you and what you're comfortable with

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jade24 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Remember that u/s isn't always right. I was told with one of my kids they would be at least 8.5 pound... and this was at a 30-32 week scan for renal dilation.... he was born 2 weeks early at just over 6

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I birthed a near 10lb baby vaginally. I don't understand why the rush for surgery

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    oh and answer the question lol, it would depend on positioning, but yes I probably would go vb. But then I had c/s I didn't want so I'm desperate to have a vb.

There's no right or wrong answer OP, only what's right for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably opt for a c-section. I've had a vaginal birth, so don't feel the need to have that experience as someone might who hadn't had one. I've also had a c-section (baby was breech) and found it a wonderful experience, so don't feel any particular hesitation there. For me the deciding factor to have a c-section would be medical advice saying that it was advisable. That would create doubt and worry in my mind about a vaginal birth (natural born worried here!)

whatever you decide, hope you have a great birth experience

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was a 10lb 3oz baby, he was birthed vaginally with no pain relief. It was a wonderful experience that I honestly wouldn't change; but it didn't come without complications. I bled for a long time following his birth and almost needed surgery at 4 months postpartum. This was suspected to be due to his size and also that he was posterior. It did make my first few months as a new mum quite stressful, as I was in a lot of pain.

However, given that this is your 3rd baby I would think your body would be more prepared than mine was. I am hoping that any subsequent babies I deliver will be easier, anyway! Also, ultrasounds are notoriously wrong when it comes to size.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    This bubba has quite a difference between head and abdomen, abdo bigger. I think heads about 80th , abdo 100 th.
    I'd go for the csection if I was in your situation. My late term growth scans were not just to check the size, but also to compare the abdo/ head sizes, since if the abdo was bigger, there was no way at all I'd attempt a vaginal delivery.
    Shoulder Dystocia is really scary. Not only at the time, but not knowing for 18 months whether my DD was going to have full use if her arm or need surgery. And we got off lightly. My OB was incredibly skilled and experienced, but she told me at my post-natal check that she was still having nightmares from my birth.
    I had no skin-to-skin as I was shaking so much, and didn't even attempt to feed until 9 hrs later. DD needed oxygen and came out looking like she had been through a prize fight.
    I wouldn't wish my birth experience on my worst enemy. We knew shoulder dystocia was a real risk- I had a 34 week scan to check placental position and DD's abdo measurement was bigger than her head, but I was too scared to have a csection. If I could go back in time, I would have reluctantly chosen a csection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I wouldn't.

I had a 10lbs 4oz baby via caesarean, but am planning a homebirth with the next baby. It could be around the same or bigger, and that's of no concern to me.

Plenty of women birth babies that size, and bigger, without any real issues. I've even read plenty of stories on here of women finding the birth of their bigger babies more comfortable than the births of their smaller ones. No idea why, but it happens.

The ex's mother birthed him. She was about a size 8, average height. He was 12lbs. She did it vaginally, no drugs, no tearing from end-to-end. If she can do it, I figure there's no reason I can't at least give it a good hard go.

I've had a caesarean, and never want another, so would only have one again if it was essential. Size doesn't make it essential, so I'm not having one for that reason.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your replies and stories. I am still totally undecided though! I want a VB I really do, but I am so worried about shoulder dystocia. I work in health and medical emergencies labour or otherwise are scary things. I can't really decide anything anyway until 37 w scan...this nit going at all how I want to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs CK2B-- it's such a hard decision isn't it. If you delivered a 4.3kg baby no problem then you have a really good history of birthing big babies safely.

I'm a GDM and have my 34 week growth scan in 5 weeks. I'm planning a homebirth if she is normally grown and I'm in labour by 40 weeks. But if she is measuring large I won't be homebirthing as I'm terrified of a shoulder dystocia. I think of my bub has an Abdominal Circumferance > 90th% I'll be asking for a c-section . I don't think the obs at my hospital will agree though.
    I really don't want a c-section but I'm a small person and don't want to risk her getting stuck. I've seem to many horrible shoulder dystocias as a midwife.

The wait is awful isn't it because I can't set my mind to either outcome until the next scan and it seems you are in a similar situation.

Goodluck , please let us know how you go.