+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

I posted a few days ago about a big baby on unsound. We have a great family friend who used ti be a senior consultant at our hospital and I trust her judgement completely. She got a hold of my scans and notes to review them and the baby is looking to be about 4.6kg or 10.1 pnds. I want to birth in our birth centre but she agreed with the original ob recommendations that it would not be advisable. She also agreed that if its looking like 10 pounds or more a section is recommended. She was no vested interest and doesn't even work at the hospital any more and was known as the best ob there. She agreed the scans can b out but that be either way. Bigger or smaller and right now the abdominal measurement which is the best indicator or shoulder width is on the 100th percentile. So....I don't know what to do? I want to try vaginal but not if there is a good chance of an emergency c section. I don't want it to get to that point. This is my third baby and my boy was 4.3 or 9.5 pnds who I had no worries although his size dis make it much harder then my first one. I am really not sure what to do.
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 18-02-2013 at 22:10.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

I've heard of many women who have birthed very large babies, but I also think there can be different risks with that. I'm not experienced with this, but perhaps talk to your ob again about trying for a vaginal birth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 10 pnd baby would you have a section?

My nephew was 10pd 2 and his mum birthed him with only a very small tear. Based on the size of your other ds I would be inclined to try for a VB.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (19-02-2013),chookylaa  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, at the moment I have to wait for my 37 week scan to see how the growth is tracking and if thw baby has accelerated growth. All decisions will be made then.I also have a good friend who had a 10 pounder and her bub got bad shoulder dystocia , the turned the babe and it the other shoulder got stuck. The head was out ...so no oxygen for about one minute short of brain damage. She had a bleed on the brain but all has resolved no worries. But this is my only personal experience with a large baby it was extremely traumatic for my friend.
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 18-02-2013 at 22:17.

Thanks
    Reviews

Personally, yes, I'd go for a section.

But that is based purely on the difficulty I had birthing a 9 pounder. Had a severe shoulder dystocia, she had nerve damage and was temporarily paralysed in one arm, and I had a PPH.

I had (very accurate) late term growth scans and two early inductions for my other two births. If either of my next two had been over 4kgs, I would have had a csection.

How close are you to term? Is bub measuring 4.6 now, or is that an estimation of full term weight? Is an early induction an option you'd consider?

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD had a larger abdominal circumference than head circumference which was the reason for the shoulder dystocia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My son was 10 pound 7 vaginal birth. I wouldn't go for a c section because he could be big. You've had a big baby before, you will be fine. If something happens then you are in the right spot for a c section anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My DS was 9 pounds 14 (4.48kg) and even though we ended in a c-section, I'm glad I still tried for a vaginal birth. Next time I'll be trying for a vbac, even if bub is measuring on the larger size (although definitely looking at an early induction).

Are you talking booked c-section? Have you thought of inducing early? Although if you managed 4.3 I'd definitely try for a vaginal birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    My DD had a larger abdominal circumference than head circumference which was the reason for the shoulder dystocia.
    This bubba has quite a difference between head and abdomen, abdo bigger. I think heads about 80th , abdo 100 th.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not keen at all in induction. From what I've read induction itself increases risk of shoulder dystocia and that risk is already high enough! My biggest concern is shoulder dystocia. Not tearing, pain, long labour....only shoulder dystocia.