+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Possible pregnancy & tattoos

Hubby and I have been not trying, just letting nature take its course with getting pregnant.

I had a tattoo done on my ankle, not a huge one, just a vine with some flowers done last week and today I was feeling really ill and I took a pregnancy test which has come up with a very faint positive.

I got the tattoo done this month as we only DTD once while I was fertile, so thought it next to impossible to be pregnant. I'm now freaking out about it all!!!

I know there's nothing I can do but will it hurt the baby? I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to get a blood test done to confirm the pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

No, it won't hurt the baby. Now that you know you're pregnant, don't get anymore, but you already know this.
    The only risks with tattoos while pregnant is blood born diseases like HIV, hepatitis etc.
    Did you get it done at a proper tattoo shop with a proper artist? Did you see him change the needle etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes I didn't go to some backyard hack job, was a proper shop, very clean I sat there and watched him set up, pull a clean needle out for the outline, then another for the colour part. They had all their health department certificates on the wall for 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

I honestly wouldn't give it a second thought

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Obviously you wouldn't knowingly get a tattoo while pregnant but just think how many people drink/smoke etc before they find out, that's much worse IMO and most of those babies turn out fine.
    The biggest problem with getting a tattoo while pregnant is the extra blood volume which could cause you to bleed more and make it hard for the tattooist to see what he's doing. Your chance of getting HIV/Hepatitis etc from a decent tattoo place is very, very small and you are not really at any higher risk just because you are pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just got the phone call from the doctor, I am indeed pregnant.

He said that there shouldn't be any issues, he said the tattoo might take a bit longer to heal if anything and the next set of blood tests I have he will run a hepatitis and HIV screen.

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

If your sure the shop was clean and it was a fresh needle then you are good. There is a tiny chance of ink in your blood ****** but I doubt it was still around when you got your bfp.

Technically clean needles means that you could get a tattoo whilst pregnant bit your pain threshold drops and there is more if a chance of
    You passing out.

Bubs is fine