+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Child swimming unsupervised - what age?

Tell your husband that someone drowning does not splash about making tons of racket, it's silent.

Five is too young. That age should be within arms reach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also agree with never swimming alone and at least 10 years of age if they're a really good swimmer.

Drowning truly is silent. I had a very scary experience just before Christmas. We were at my best friends house for a Christmas celebration and my 2 oldest (6 and 3) and her 2 kids (5 & 3) were in the pool. My hubby, my bestie, her hubby and I had out chairs lined up facing the pool and only about 3 metres from the pool. The 2 oldest kids don't need floaties, the 2 youngest had arm floaties on. Us 4 adults were talking and suddenly my besties hubby yelled and we looked in the pool and my youngest was holding onto my oldest in the deep end and not realising she was holding her under the water. Not sure how long she was under. Our scream scared my youngest and she let go of my oldest. She was beside herself, but ok. That has been a massive learning curve for us 4 adults that you absolutely have to be vigilant. Sadly we thought we were being responsible sitting and facing the kids, but got so engrossed in our conversation that our attention to the kids lapsed. Drowning can happen so quickly. We're also teaching that you can't grab onto anyone in the pool until they fully understand their own actions and consequence...

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have an answer on 'how old' but I'd have to agree that 5 is too young to be completely unsupervised. Children that young may be competent swimmers, but their ability to judge safe and unsafe actions is far from fully developed.
    Also, everyone please read this article:
    http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...ry-day/?cs=298
    This young boy was just doing something so many of us do when we're young, testing his boundaries and he lost his life. Please educate your kids and share this with friends, if we can save one child's life, it's worth it..

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gongmummy For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (18-02-2013),mel04  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe once u had kids who were 5 he would change his view ??!
    One of those hard to predict until ur there kinda things ..

I think at age 5 for good swimmers u could be pool side and not have to get in with them but I wouldn't be leaving unsupervised until much older.

Not sure what age cus mines only 2.5 ....

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a 3 and 4 year old who are good swimmers and I can sit on side of pool and watch while they swim.

I wouldn't consider leaving them alone for many years. I don't know what age would be ok. I think my eldest was about 12 when I let her but she is still not allowed jb the pool if nobody else is home etc

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Child swimming unsupervised - what age?

DS is 3 in 2 weeks and DD is 9 months.

I spoke DP about the issue today and he just laughed things off and told me he said all that stuff to annoy me!

Another thing to add to the thread about annoying things your partner does...

I've warned him though and said that if he ever does this with one of our kids l will give him a knuckle sandwich.
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Child swimming unsupervised - what age?

Not until at least 10 in my mind, if not older (and never "unaccompanied" at least with a friend unless they can stand in the water)

My dad was telling me not that long ago that a 12 year old drowned near where I grew up swimming.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have DS - nearly 9, DD - 7 and DD - nearly 5....we supervise always but have to admit, i left the elder two in the water the other day while i watched from the laundry and then hung out the washing...so could see and hear, but fence in between me and them. that was the first time i had done that.

My DS went to a friend's house to play with his very big male 10yo friend. they went in the pool unsupervised, which i was upset to hear, and they both described a situation where the 10yo got into trouble and my DS (who is a foot smaller and about 15kg lighter) had to jump in and pull him over to the side, all the time the mum was inside unaware.....my DS said it was hard to stay up when the boy was so heavy.....that situation def had the potential to go wrong. i thought it was so unfair because everytime kids come to my house, they get supervised personally by me, and i would have expected the same in return.

5yo is way too young. like PP said - no second chances! drowning is silent. it kills the child and completely destroys the rest of the family. not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a austswim teacher the first thing we teach any age child in any stage of swimming is not to swim alone.

That person they swim with should be a competent swimmer. Normally a stage 10 +. I would let my 7 year old go swimming with someone in this situation, never alone.

Anything can happen in any water environment, pools, ocean, dams or rivers.