+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Child swimming unsupervised - what age?

I was unsupervised (my mum was in baby pool and I was in big pool so there were lifeguards) from about 5/6. Saying that I was a very strong swimmer and already part of a club training twice a week. By 7 I could swim 25m without breathing and was competing regularly so I didn't see it as an issue. I guess it depends on competency, stamina, confidence and whether there are lifeguards etc around

Thanks
    Reviews
    In a home pool I'd say around 10, depending of course on how strong of a swimmer the child is. Even then, I think I'd still be checking in or secretly watching.

Pools scare me and it only takes a short amount of time for something to happen - no matter how good a swimmer someone is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Child swimming unsupervised - what age?

A local boy here died a week or 2 ago. He was 13 and a strong swimmer. His mum was watching him...
    Definitely not until teens and even then not alone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just being within earshot will do nothing.. Drowning is silent.

I would say 5 is way too young. My ds is only 3 and has recently started swimming unaided. I can't say when I will leave him unsupervised, but definitely not at 5. Possibly at 10 if they are with friends.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We swam without parental supervision from 11 and up, but we've always had the rule that you never swim alone and I still don't swim alone.

I think I'll be similar with my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Our three eldest are allowed, they are 8,10 and 11 and have all been having formal lessons since they were 3 years old.
    That said, they are very sensible kids and its in our backyard pool within earshot, and they are frequently checked on

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD is nearly 6, can swim like a fish and there is no way in hell I would let her swim unsupervised.

At her swimming lessons last year a little boy nearly drowned in front of an aquatic centre full of people. His dad was distracted by someone for just a minute. Luckily there were lots of lifeguards on hand to give him CPR. I was terribly traumatised and it wasn't even my child. After watching this lifeless little boy having his chest pumped I will never ever EVER take any chances with a child around water.

Thanks
    Reviews

My daughter is 9 she can swim on her own unsupervised but its not often that she does we don't have a pool so I we go to the local pools or to MIL Houston a swim its usually so we all can swim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Completely depends on the child. I run a pool and have 5 children. My 4 year old can swim 100m and the others apart from the 2 year old are all amazing swimmers too. I let them swim together in the deep end while I am teaching. There are certain things I run through with the younger ones every single day. Floating on back, pushing off the bottom, strokes, correct diving and entries and to stay together.

Then, there are some 13 year olds who I would never leave even in the shallow end on their own because they have no idea.

You can't put an age on it but yes, out of all the 5 year olds I know and teach to swim, nearly all of them need to be constantly watched.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Oh and I agree. Even an adult shouldn't swim totally alone.