+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Child swimming unsupervised - what age?

DP were having a discussion today about what age it would be OK to leave a child to swim unsupervised.

DP seems to think at age 5 if the child can swim you don't need to watch over them but as long as you are within earshot it's OK.

I disagree with this completely....l think a child age 5, whether they can swim or not needs to be watched. I said to DP children will not shout or make a sound while they are drowning.

If my child was age 10 and over and could swim, then l wouldn't feel the necessity to watch over them.

I found DP's view on this really disturbing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would say over 10 for sure. 5 is way too young.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think 10+ is a good age (unless they aren't a strong swimmer obviously) but certainly not 5!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it is important for a child to swim with a friend if they are not being directly supervised. That way if something goes wrong, there is someone else to seek help. (I think 5yo is a bit young too, but that might be because my children aren't really competent swimmers. So I would say two children that are competent swimmers and are responsible enough to seek help if anything unusual occurred, should be able to swim together without direct supervision, but help nearby.)

I've been told a story of a mother visiting her friend, and brining her son along. The two women sat inside having coffee whilst the son swam in the pool in the backyard alone. At some point, they went out to the pool to check on the boy, and found that he had drowned. (He was 14yo and a competent swimmer, so no-one expected he would ever have a problem.) But something can always go wrong and in a pool you don't get second chances. An extra person to look out for you is advisable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My cousin is 9 and they have a pool, they still get watched, but his brother is 5.

I think around 10 when child is a. Strong swimmer and has been swimming for years.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews

My son is 7yo and a very strong swimmer but unless he is doing his lesson, I won't allow him in the big pool without me actually in the water with him.

He recently begged to be allowed in the bigger pool without me so I asked the lifeguard on the pool deck and she said that they have to be 10+ to be allowed in the big pool without someone with them who is over 16yo but they must still be supervised.

The rules are that 5yo and under you MUST BE WITHIN arms reach of the child and in the water also. Over 5yo they still need constant supervision.

I find your DP's view on this really concerning. It only takes 20seconds for a child to drown and as a PP said, you don't get second chances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think at any age they should be supervised to a certain extent. At 5, DS2 is a good swimmer but there is no way that I would trust him on his own. He is a crazy cat and thinks nothing of jumping off into the pool backwards or doing anything. All it would take is for him to slip and fall and that would be it.

Even DS1 at 7 I would still supervise....and for me supervision for both DS2 and DS1 is them in the pool and me watching inside the gate of the pool (if that makes sense). I dont need to be in there with them as I trust their swimming capability but I would not leave them alone.

Probably 10 I may leave them on their own but until my kids are 10 I cant say...it all depends if they are good swimmers, if they are responsible, etc, etc.

I would ask your DH why he thinks its ok to leave a 5 yo unsupervised in a pool. Are your kids 5 yet? Does he see them swimming and thinks they can manage?

My DH is petrified of the kids drowning that he will always be in with them. I think he will probably still do it when they are teenagers!

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it really does depend on if there is a group of them swimming "without supervision" or if they are just by themselves.
    Don't they say that even adults really shouldn't swim unaccompanied? If they are jumping and playing there is risk the could fall and drown at any age.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (09-03-2013),gizmoduckus  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think any child should be completely unsupervised no matter how competent. At least be swimming with another like a PP said. But about 8 would be ok to let them swim with a friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assume you mean in a pool, at the beach no-one should swim alone - child or adult is the recommendation.

My ds is 6 and not a competent swimmer and he could get into trouble pretty easily and I doubt he'd call out if he was drowning. He could end up in the deep end and not be able to stand up & not able to reach the sides & freak out and his head wouldn't even be above water for much time at all, let alone enough time to call so loud that if you weren't in the immediate vacinity that you would hear.