+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cheapest Progesterone Pessaries in Sydney

After 3 years of dark tunnels and roller coasters my wife is 6 weeks pregnant. Being aware of the costs associated with IVF I want to share this information with all the people going through the same stage.

I contacted many compound pharmacies in Sydney (February 2013) and found out the following prices for progesterone pessaries:

Macquarie Street Pharmacy
    195 Macquarie St Sydney NSW 2000 (02) 9221 1622
    36 x 200mg = $205.20 (5.07 per unit)
    400mg not available

David Wilson Compounding Chemist
    Shop 3, Eastgate Mall, Spring St Bondi Junction NSW 2022 (02) 9300 1000
    36 x 200mg = $120 ($3.33 per unit)
    18 x 400mg = $90 ($5.00 per unit but double dosage)

Custom Care Pharmacy
    644 Old Northern Rd Dural NSW 2158 1300 726 858
    60 x 400mg = $ 190 (3.17 per unit but double dosage)

That shows that there is an enormous difference between pharmacies and that it is convenient to shop around. Custom Care Pharmacy supplies IVF Australia and can ship the pessaries if needed.

Initially we were paying around $97 dollars for 15 200mg ($6.46 per unit!) at Chemist warehouse. Compound pharmacies are the way to go especially for high dosages required (400mg).

If you know any other better deal in Sydney please feel free to share.

My thoughts to all couples going through this roller coaster experience.
    Wish you good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cheapest Progesterone Pessaries in Sydney

Thankyou so much !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

I have used two pharmacies for progesterone pessaries.

Kingswood Compounding Pharmacy
    208A Great Western Highway Kingswood 2747
    Ph 4721 2752 Fax 4721 2312
    70 400mg prog pessaries = $175 ($2.50 per unit - double dose)
    60 400mg prog pessaries = $155 ($2.58 per unit - double dose)
    They can deliver anywhere in Sydney for additional $10(??)
    Pharmacist is Adam

Cincottas Chemist Merrylands
    Merrylands Road, Merrylands
    14 400mg pessaries = $84.00 ($6 per unit - double dose)

Hope this is helpful (and money saving).
    Last edited by MsCurlyGirl; 22-02-2013 at 21:44. Reason: get exact numbers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that is even better! Thanks a lot for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear world 33, it is the first time I have to purchase progesterone pessaries. I am confused with the difference between brand one and the pharmacy's one? Is there any difference ? On the weekend I purchased "Orion " brand progesterone pessaries from SAN hospital pharmacy which cost $303. It is made in WA.However today When i call Genea, i found lots of people use macqurie st pharmacy's progesterone. do you know what is the difference about them? Why people use local pharmacy's one? Is the macquarie st pharmacy's one better?Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing this info World33.

I'm with Genea Syd and they said I needed to get progesterone pessaries at the Macquarie St Pharmacy. Is there any difference between the pessaries at Macq St and elsewhere I wonder...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to buy Orion at the beginning as well. However they are just too expensive and some compound pharmacies, like the ones above, sell them much cheaper. We used Custom Care Pharmacy which is the supplier of IVF Australia, one of the biggest IVF businesses in Australia. When my wife took blood tests after taking the pessaries her level of progesterone was good so there is no difference from the pharmacy product such as Orion and the compound pharmacy one, except for the price!!! I also enquired to the compound pharmacies direct to understand the difference between the Orion brand and their in house product. These are the replies:

-------------------------
    The price for 60 pessaries is $342. Smaller quanities can be purchased, the price is $5.70 per pessary.
    We are the major pessary supplier for Genea, RPA Hospital IVF Clinic and other IVF clinics in NSW for over 15 years. We have never received any complaints over the quality of our pessaries, the information from most clinics is they are not pleased with the Orion product.
    Any further questions can be answered by one of our pharmacists at 92211622
    Thanking you,
    Melissa

David Wilson Pharmacy

In reference to your queries:
    1. 200mg x 30pess is $100, and x60pess is $175
    400mg x 30pess is $120
    2. We follow a strict lab protocol for quality control which is overseen by PCCA (professional compounding centre of America). We have made countless batches to date and have not had any issues thus far. We use precise equipment, tools and quality PCCA ingredients.
    3. We only supply to patients directly (it is an ethical rule).
    I hope that helps and if there is anything else I can offer please let me know. If you have a prescription I can fill for you then please forward on to me (email, fax, mail or in person) and I’ll be happy to compound it.
    Thank you,
    Dillan

Custom Care Pharmacy

The cost of Progesterone 400mg 60’s is $190.00.
    We only use the pharmaceutical grade(USP or BP) progesterone to compound progesterone pessaries. Many patients have used our progesterone pessaries and keep coming back for their repeats for their pregnancy. Also, when patient is on progesterone pessaries, doctor will need to measure their level to make sure that the patients receive adequate level for their pregnancy.
    We do work with many doctors all over Sydney and even country area. Many of our patients are referred by their obstetrician to come to us as we have been compounding for over 10 years.

The only pharmacy that did not reply was the cheapest one, Kingswood Compounding Pharmacy, suggested by MsCurlyGirl; I have sent them an enquiry twice.
    As far as I am concerned Custom Care Pharmacy seems the best option even if it is a bit more expensive than Kingswood Compounding Pharmacy. At least they bothered to reply and I am certain that they supply IVF Australia because initially we bought through them. They also supply 400mg pessaries where Macquarie Street Pharmacy does not. Do not fall into the trap to believe that some pessaries are better than others like a shampoo or a cream. Progesterone is progesterone, an hormone not a mix of many ingredients. The only real difference here is the price and the profit pharmacists want to make on people in a vulnerable situation. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by world33; 30-07-2013 at 22:14.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to world33 For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (30-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update on the Kingswood Compounding Pharmacy prices (as per October 2013):
    60 400mg prog pessaries = $180 ($3 per unit - double dose)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Current prices At Kingswood Compunding Pharmavy

Hello,

I have just recently purchased 400mg progesterorne pessaries

Kingswood Compunding Pharmacy
    236 Great Western Highway
    Kingswood 2747
    Ph: (02) 4721 2752
    Fax: (02) 4721 2312

60 x 400mg progesterone pessaries costs $180 ($3 each) (double dose)

They will deliver (in padded express post envelope) free of charge.

You can fax your prescription through to them (include your mob number so they can call you for payment via credit card), they will make up then charge your credit card and post out to your specified postal address.

Hope this helps you to save money.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Me 26, DH 30
    TTC 4yrs
    Mild pco
    Mild endo
    Lap done 9/13
    4rounds of clomid with BFN
    5th cycle of clomid chemical pregnancy

Starting IVF jan 2014@ WFS

1st IVF Jan 2014: antagonist cycle started, cancelled day 9 due to over stimulation, 60+ follicles.

2ND IVF March 2014: Antagonist cycle???