+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was so worried when I was pregnant with DD that we wouldn't bond. I was in tears some days convinced it just wouldn't happen (don't ask me why... hormones maybe haha). But the second she was born I was just blown away by how much love I had for her straight away.

We've always had a ridiculously close bond, I don't think we particually work on it, it just came naturally for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, there are some really touching stories in here - and some really lucky babies whose mothers love them a great deal

To be honest, I've always taken that whole 'bonding' thing for granted. I felt very attached to my firstborn when she was in utero, but less so for my second child - probably because, rushing after a toddler, I didn't have the time to sit and 'be at one' with him before he was born! However, the minute they placed his warm, bloody, writhing body on mine and we looked into one another's eyes, that was it. And even though a lot of mums don't get that skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth, I really think it's the intense, close eye contact that seals it. Just cradling your little baby up close and staring into his or her eyes, gently stroking that beautiful, soft skin...ahh, makes my heart melt! (And it's not exclusive to breast-feeders - or even mothers!) I also think your relationship with your baby becomes even closer once he or she starts smiling at you.

[Btw - and this is a bit weird so don't judge me! - when my first child was born, I felt the strangest urge to lick her forehead to see what she tasted like! Don't ask me why, but it seemed like a very primal urge at the time and somehow felt like a bonding behaviour. Made me feel like a mother cat, though, and my husband thought I was out of my tree... (I should add it was a one-off thing and not something I made a habit of! Also, I didn't feel the urge to do it to my second child.)]

OP, are you worried about it? Try not to - if you don't have what you consider a 'perfect' birthing experience, you'll have a lifetime of opportunities to show your baby how much you love him or her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm very blessed to have been well and truly in love with my babies long before they arrived, including the one I'm currently carrying. I actually felt bonded with this baby before s/he was even conceived - being planned as the final member of our family, I always just imagine life with him/her in it. But that moment just after giving birth when bub is put on my chest is definitely the most special moments of my life and when I fell head over heels in love with my babies. I can't wait to do it again in a few months time