+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the problem is - all of us here (on bubhub I mean) are perfectly capable of reading to and doing educational activities with our kids, and in fact have been doing so since they were babies. Our kids aren't really the ones that homework is targeted at.

There are parents out there who have no interest in their child's education, don't bother reading to their kids, have never even introduced their kid to a book or a newspaper... These kids are already at a huge disadvantage compared to our kids, and I think compulsory homework is aimed at trying to help them a bit. If homework was optional, do you think these kids would do it? No way. Our kids would do it, but it's not our kids who need it. So what would be the point?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (18-02-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (19-02-2013),tootiredtosleep  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you believe in homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Yes I do-

Ideally 10-15min lower primary per day and this includes reading, 30min upper primary exclusive of reading, 1-2hrs grades 7-10 and 2-3hrs for senior years 11-12.

I think homework is a good way of reminding kids of what they did that day and informing parents of what is going on with their childrens education.
    Is that per day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Has it always been around from such an early age? I have a pretty good memory and I don't remember homework in year 1. To me it is far, far, far too early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I think the problem is - all of us here (on bubhub I mean) are perfectly capable of reading to and doing educational activities with our kids, and in fact have been doing so since they were babies. Our kids aren't really the ones that homework is targeted at.

There are parents out there who have no interest in their child's education, don't bother reading to their kids, have never even introduced their kid to a book or a newspaper... These kids are already at a huge disadvantage compared to our kids, and I think compulsory homework is aimed at trying to help them a bit. If homework was optional, do you think these kids would do it? No way. Our kids would do it, but it's not our kids who need it. So what would be the point?
    That does make sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    This! I don't understand reading as homework. Reading to me is just a normal part of our lives, something we all do everyday. I have been reading to my LO since the day he was born (in utero really).

As for the rest of the work. No I don't agree. My niece is homeschooled doing year 10 this year and she only does 3-4 hours a day and gets everything done. I appreciate a teacher with 20+ kids in a room needs longer but I don't agree with hours of homework especially in primary school!
    I'm talking about the child reading to us as homewrok - ie a reader. Reading to kids doesn't count as homework (at least not at our school) but it is expected from year 1 kids will read to someone (usually a parent) every night. It gets recorded in a book and the child gets to make a comment about how they felt about the book. They get a sticker reward when they reach 25, 50, 75 books etc
    Last edited by Sonja; 18-02-2013 at 13:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Has it always been around from such an early age? I have a pretty good memory and I don't remember homework in year 1. To me it is far, far, far too early.
    Well I'm far far far too old to remember!

In year 1 we were encouraged to turn sight words into games - DD1 would get 8 every few days and we'd make memory games out of them, or hop scotch, or I'd ask her to find words that had 2 vowels and then a consenant etc. She loved it as she found it fun. It was a total PITA to be honest as I'd need to get on with other things and kids but we did it because she loved it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    This! I don't understand reading as homework. Reading to me is just a normal part of our lives, something we all do everyday. I have been reading to my LO since the day he was born (in utero really).

As for the rest of the work. No I don't agree. My niece is homeschooled doing year 10 this year and she only does 3-4 hours a day and gets everything done. I appreciate a teacher with 20+ kids in a room needs longer but I don't agree with hours of homework especially in primary school!
    I don't either, I read to dd several times throughout a day, but Shelle's comment made sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, i think it is a great thing It needs to be added slowly, but gradually teaches kids (and parents) about time balance and putting in work at home.

Reading 15 min a night from prep. Sight words - about 10 min a night.

From year 1 maybe adding 1 worksheet and some spelling...maybe 15 min a night.

From year 2 - 2 worksheets (1 maths/tables and 1 literacy based) plus spelling...maybe 15-20 min a night

From year 3 - again, i expect about the same as year 2 but increased difficulty. Projects prob one a term.

I am not sure from Year 4.

I dislike the Monday - Friday turn around...I have been told they do Wed (give out homework) - due Tuesday at our new school and I am much happier with that. We are very busy after school but always have reading time...we have been choosing our own books since Year 1 though as DS finished the highest level readers about then lol.

If you really dislike the readers from school...check which system they use. If it is "lexile numbers" check on the Scholastic website as they have a table that tells you different books for all the levels and you can then pick your own ones (after speaking with the teacher) that are more interesting and fun for your kids. They can always do school readers at school if they need to when reading with the teacher.

Also, if there was an issue and DS had not done his homework, I would write a letter to his teacher and say that he was not to be kept in. It would be out of the ordinary and he would have done as much as he could...if he was then kept in, I would be kicking up a stink and it would not happen again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Well I'm far far far too old to remember!

In year 1 we were encouraged to turn sight words into games - DD1 would get 8 every few days and we'd make memory games out of them, or hop scotch, or I'd ask her to find words that had 2 vowels and then a consenant etc. She loved it as she found it fun. It was a total PITA to be honest as I'd need to get on with other things and kids but we did it because she loved it.
    I think I'm too old to remember, too. I work with a woman and I went to school with her son, same age, and she's shocked that my DS has homework already. So I'm guessing I didn't.

My DS hates the set homework, but he always does well in school and he's keen to learn at home, he just prefers the tasks we choose as opposed to what the school sets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a parent teacher session last week with ds1's pre primary teacher. She explained the class would be having some homework in term 2. She explained that it would be reading and activities such as the kids cleaning their room and such things to teach the kids responsibility and to involve the parents so as school and home aren't so separate. I can't explain it as well as she did but it made sense and we are quite happy with her ideas. I think as long as homework isn't for hours on end it's ok. And I am quite looking forward to having that involvement assisting ds with doing things for school and assisting his learning which is what the teacher is trying to get parents to do and be a part of.