+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    But you would do other things. Shopping, visiting elderly relatives, fixing door knobs, playing with siblings. These should all count towards a child's education.
    Agree but for a school to expect a child to do these things is silly. Homework shouldnt be...
    - Go shopping
    - Visit an elderly relative
    - Fix a door knob
    - Play with siblings

Those are things that children learn while doing without being forced to do them by the school. The school shouldnt have any say as to what a child does outside of school hours.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you believe in homework?

Of course. Common sense and flexibility are key

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you believe in homework?

That's exactly it lambjam& london! There's homeWORK & homeLIFE. There's a line there. I see no harm in offering guidelines & suggestions for home activities, and I appreciate and hope that my kids teachers are highly qualified to give advice on what switches my kids brains on. But when they are at home they are my kids, the teachers have them 6 or 7 hours a day & as far as I'm concerned their jurisdiction ends there (apart from some revision of the days work)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    We don't cook or garden
    I can't find the link, but there was a great teachers blog where the teacher wrote hundreds of lessons" that could be conducted in a supermarket, every thing from color recognition, shape recognition, counting, spelling, simple maths to complex maths including calculating volume and surface area, geography, etc etc.

Especially for younger grades and homework teachers are intelligent and experienced enough to realise that ANY and EVERY occassion can be used to consolidate concepts taught in class.

You mayn't actually cook, but I'm sure you eat and when eating you can easily discuss shapes and numbers - when teachers encourage younger kids to cook with the family it's an extension of play based learning and when cooking you measure out flour for example and divide stuff up equally. That can be swapped for or extended to eating.

Cooking/eating and gardening or shopping is a great way to extend upon what a child has learnt and this sort of homework - the application of learnt facts in a real world setting is something I do agree with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    But you would do other things. Shopping, visiting elderly relatives, fixing door knobs, playing with siblings. These should all count towards a child's education.
    I'm sorry if this is slightly OT but my daughter's home economic classes I have thought brilliant - such useful skills. Definitely think knowing how to put a few basic dishes together is really advantageous when it comes time to live independently.

Obviously a lot of education also comes from teaching critical analysis - Looking at both sides of a news story, identifying bias, etc, teaching how to ask questions and think creatively.

I think the routine of homework is more important than the content. Sitting down and doing some work even when you don't feel like it - that's a skill that makes life a hell of a lot easier if you can get it.

I think if you have imagination and discipline you can do anything.

I actually dread how I'm going to manage homework with my son, he's a real ants in his pants type.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Working class mum, very good point re incorporating maths into eating etc.

A pet hate of mine is when people say maths is useless and not used in 'real life'. Anyone who (for example) divies up lollies between children is performing some simple algebra etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They don't provide a list, it's not reported on or marked. There's simply an expectation that children are given a well rounded experience by interacting with their family in daily tasks.

The simple benefits of having an hours conversation daily with your child are significant, even just in terms of language development. It also builds life skills.

Most families I know just do this because, but I know some who feel like including their kids just hinders the progress and yeah, I get that. The school is simply saying that families should try and make the effort to involve the kids if they don't already.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (02-03-2013),lambjam  (23-02-2013)