+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I do. I like that I can have some involvement in what DD is doing at school. Most of the time when I ask her what she did at school today the best response I get is "I dunno" or "I can't remember".

I think 10-20 minutes is plenty though.
    I tend to agree with this - it's my way of keeping up with what DD1 is doing at school (although we do get a lot of tests sent home so I can see them as well). It's hard for me as I was a child who thrived on homework and challenging myself (I blame it on being the youngest of 4 and watching my siblings skulk off to their rooms after school to do it). I seriously couldn't get enough of it (god what a nerd).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I sort of sit on the fence. I think reading is very important, but the school readers are soooo boring. Both my DDs love reading and being read to, so we have a huge selection plus going to the library.

I think the homework should be there, but not compulsory. I certainly don't think that children should be kept in at play time if they have not completed the homework.

There seems to be so much pressure put on the children about homework at our school. Even at the class information sessions there was pressure put on the parents about making sure the homework is done etc etc etc.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My grade 5/6 class are required to read at least 4 nights a week and practice their 10 spelling words at least 3 nights a week, and I don't think it is unreasonable.

It has been researched and reported (and I would link but can't remember where I read it atm) that children who spend 10 minutes every night reading out of school are at a huge advantage to those children who just don't get the same opportunities to practice reading.

I also believe that if parents show their children at home that reading and and writing are just as important outside the school setting, there would be less resistance inside the classroom as well. It's great to have parents that fully back up a teachers requests so we can present a united front together. To aid them, I always includes tips and hints on how best to help children with their home reading in the school newsletter.

I would say my class hovers around the 50-75% participation rate in homework.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (18-02-2013),MissMuppet  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    For us all it does is take away from precious family time and causes a lot of unecessary stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do. Homework fosters home/school partnerships and as Shelle says is a great form of communication to parents. My preference for is for inquiry based learning where children are working on things which are interest based and which they have a set amount of time to complete - to fit in around things like family commitments etc.

Homework is a great way for parents to see how their child approaches learning tasks, their ability to focus etc, parents and teachers can then have conversations based on things they have observed.

I don't believe homework should be onerous or impact on after school activities or family time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you believe in homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    I sort of sit on the fence. I think reading is very important, but the school readers are soooo boring. Both my DDs love reading and being read to, so we have a huge selection plus going to the library.
    I hated the school readers, even in kindergarten. My reading level well exceeded the books that were offered in thr classroom so I often went to the school or town library and chose my own books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    My grade 5/6 class are required to read at least 4 nights a week and practice their 10 spelling words at least 3 nights a week, and I don't think it is unreasonable.

It has been researched and reported (and I would link but can't remember where I read it atm) that children who spend 10 minutes every night reading out of school are at a huge advantage to those children who just don't get the same opportunities to practice reading.

I also believe that if parents show their children at home that reading and and writing are just as important outside the school setting, there would be less resistance inside the classroom as well. It's great to have parents that fully back up a teachers requests so we can present a united front together. To aid them, I always includes tips and hints on how best to help children with their home reading in the school newsletter.

I would say my class hovers around the 50-75% participation rate in homework.
    Part of my DDs homework is reading to an adult for 15 mins and then discussing what they have read in that 15 mins. This is in addition to the other homework activities. If all she had was reading I would love that we do that anyway.

Do the children in your class get kept in for not completing their homework? Just curious lol

My DD was in tears from lunch time yesterday about going back to school today because of the homework and the work within the classroom

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Here is a link that backs up what I was saying... it's not the original source I was thinking of, but it quotes the same statistics

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Part of my DDs homework is reading to an adult for 15 mins and then discussing what they have read in that 15 mins. This is in addition to the other homework activities. If all she had was reading I would love that we do that anyway.

Do the children in your class get kept in for not completing their homework? Just curious lol

My DD was in tears from lunch time yesterday about going back to school today because of the homework and the work within the classroom
    I track their reading journals, and they are only kept in if for 3 days in a row they cannot show me that they have read to an adult. So really, I'm only asking they read once in every 3 days hehe- but they haven't figured that out yet!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I hated the school readers, even in kindergarten. My reading level well exceeded the books that were offered in thr classroom so I often went to the school or town library and chose my own books.
    I usually get DD readers from the library. We seem to have some good ones now she's in year 2 but her teacher gets from the year 3s. I think one of the problems (at least where we are) is that as pre-primary hasn't been compulsory in the past the early years still had to cater for kids who hadn't done it whereas the majority had.