+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just got home from a parent education morning at the kids school.

I asked the question of homework and was told the kids get choices in class, they are welcome to gaze out the window, or doodle through class, but that's making the choice to complete their work at home.

They expect the kids to have stories at home that are contributed to by themselves and the parents.

They also expect the parents to involve the kids in household activities, such as cooking and gardening.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you believe in homework?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

They also expect the parents to involve the kids in household activities, such as cooking and gardening.
    I seriously don't see how it is any of the school's business how a households organises itself. Cooking & gardening have nothing whatsoever to do with school.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you believe in homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Cooking & gardening have nothing whatsoever to do with school.
    But everything to do with having a balanced, well-rounded education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind homework, many people take their work home (teachers for example) so it's not a bad life skill to pick up. I wouldn't want my kids doing any more than an hour a day in primary school though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    . Cooking & gardening have nothing whatsoever to do with school.
    Ummmmm yes they do!

Our school has a veggie and herb garden and from that they teach geometry, maths, science, sustainability, health ed and a variety of other lessons.

Many schools and teachers advocate kids learning to cook to help teach maths, science, health ed, geography, sustainability and so many other things that are an extension of things taught at school

Cooking is a mandatory secondary school subject to Y9 or 10 and then it becomes an elective.

There are grants and program's designed for schools like Stephanie Alexander's garden program and Jamie Oliver's food program.

Gardening and cooking are NOT just pastimes conducted at home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-02-2013)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you believe in homework?

I'm well aware of the educational benefits of cooking, gardening etc etc, (so there want really any need for an "um" thanks all the same) I just don't see how schools have any right to "expect" parents to involve their kids in it at home. At what point do the kids get to switch off? Are we supposed to just pack every moment if their little lives with learning experiences? It's like a PP who mentioned homework assigned was to play a board game, that's not homework. I can imagine there are plenty of parents that need to be encouraged to read a book or play a game with their child, or even just to bake at home. But if my school told me I was expected to do those things... Well quite frankly I would feel it's an intrusion into my home life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We don't cook or garden

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    We don't cook or garden
    But you would do other things. Shopping, visiting elderly relatives, fixing door knobs, playing with siblings. These should all count towards a child's education.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah Id imagine poor little Johnny would feel upset if he had to tell his teacher than his mummy didnt want his help in the kitchen and they didnt have a garden for him to tend to.
    I dont mind cooking with DS sometimes but most of the time when I cook its dinner time and frankly I just want to get it done and served so we can eat, clean up and be done with it for another night. Our front yard is a small patch of lawn with an easy garden border that our mower man tends to and our entire back yard is paved except for a patch of lawn we layed down the side for the dogs to use as their toilet. My son would fail 'home gardening and cooking'.

Thanks
    Reviews

Gothel, I get what you're saying. I think it comes from parents like me saying "Hold on, academic work isn't the be-all and end-all of education, your stupid worksheets are getting in the way of the life skills I'd like to be teaching my child. How about letting us do these things instead?"

Then the school says "Oh, great idea! We'll make those things homework!"

Then I say "Hmm, you've kind of missed my point. But ok."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (23-02-2013)