+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For me it isn't that I am against homework at all. But it is the amount of homework, my 6 year old loves doing homework (which is great, because I hate it!), reading and writing. I went to check on dinner while he was doing it and when I got back he was asleep at the dining room table. He is exhausted. Just 5 days a week at school at that age is enough surely? I totally get that you have to amp it up when they are older, but I just think when they are young it is too much. A book at bedtime perhaps, but that is enough I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    All those saying you did well without much study are just proving the point I guess - some people have it and some people don't.

Some people are naturally good at sport, some people are good at music, some people are good at school. We can't all be good at the same things. We can't be better than everyone at everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Do you believe in homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I think it is absurd that, as a general rule, children are punished for not doing homework tasks.

Perhaps if a child 'has it' academically, a better use of their free time would be practising skills they don't yet have, rather than homework tasks.

But then it gets hard, because how do you tell some kids they have to do math homework, and others to practise catching a ball?

I have no problem with homework as a concept, as long as it isnt an unreasonable amount.

If only there were a practical way to tailor it to support the weaknesses of each student, rather than a blanket solution.
    I never punish for not doing homework tasks, not sure how many teachers in primary school do?

But, I think if a child needs help or is excelling in an area, then the school does as much as they can and the parents need to nurture that as well.

I get really annoyed sometimes, I think people place too much expectation on schools to teach everything. Australia has an obesity problem - well let's get teachers to teach nutrition, children don't know enough about politics - schools aren't teaching it enough, children in year 5 can't read - school is failing my child. Sometimes parents need to take responsibility as well. Teachers can't teach everything!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (23-02-2013),MissMuppet  (20-02-2013),Mommi Wren  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never punish for not doing homework tasks, not sure how many teachers in primary school do?

But, I think if a child needs help or is excelling in an area, then the school does as much as they can and the parents need to nurture that as well.

I get really annoyed sometimes, I think people place too much expectation on schools to teach everything. Australia has an obesity problem - well let's get teachers to teach nutrition, children don't know enough about politics - schools aren't teaching it enough, children in year 5 can't read - school is failing my child. Sometimes parents need to take responsibility as well. Teachers can't teach everything!

Year 2 last year for my DD, if they did not complete all their homework they were kept in at lunch on a Friday (due date). This year same thing kept in at lunch time on the due date (usually Friday) and they have to explain the reason that it was incomplete or left at home.

Does not matter it seems that DD does not seem to know half of what she is meant to be doing eg rainbow facts, doubles and near doubles she does not even know what they are yet she is meant to practice them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Agreed. I think, if anything, it is the parent's responsibility to be aware of their child's strengths and weaknesses and nurture them accordingly.

I am studying education at Uni at the moment, and I have a research task this semester on the purpose and effectiveness of homework in a primary educational setting. This thread is so fitting and interesting for me right now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Agreed. I think, if anything, it is the parent's responsibility to be aware of their child's strengths and weaknesses and nurture them accordingly.

I am studying education at Uni at the moment, and I have a research task this semester on the purpose and effectiveness of homework in a primary educational setting. This thread is so fitting and interesting for me right now!
    I am well aware of both my kids strengths and weaknesses with their education. If my kids homework was;
    1) based around addressing the areas needing more attention as well as
    2) building confidence by homework that they are capable of managing alone and
    3) this set homework could be completed in a reasonable period of time,
    I'd be singing from the rafters.

My hugest beef however is the special projects that require major time input from me, significant financial input and a degree in microbiology, nuclear physics or a flash of artistic brilliance all of which is in massive short supply in my house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the posts but at my children's school in prep they have their readers and have 'sharing time' once a fortnight, which they are given a subject and they have to prepare their talk- all very low-key, and the subjects are "What did you do in the holidays", or "Choose an animal from the ocean and tell us five interesting facts" etc. So stuff that needs input but not a lot.

Years 1-2 its the same but add a couple of projects a term. The projects need help, but nothing huge, definitely no fancy stuff and parents are asked not to help too much.

Year 3-4, reading every night (silent, can choose books, not readers), and a double-sided maths sheet each week. A couple of projects a term.

Year 5-6, reading and a couple of worksheets per week. A couple of projects a term

I am happy with this load, and am happy for my kids to be kept in if they don't do it. My DD leaves it til the last minute every week and needs to learn that when something is due, it MUST be done. Her teachers are very fair though.

I think hours of study a night in high school is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Do you believe in homework?

My DS2 just started school this year and the amount of homework he gets is a bit over the top. A total of 7 books to read. His homework book involves drawing a picture, writing out numbers 1-10 and 2 words.
    On top of that they have to prepare for 'news' one day a week. So really just show and tell but they have to give a speech covering: who,what, when, where, why?.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent read the posts. Im only new to this school gig. DS1 just started Prep.

He gets a letter book and a reading book to read mon-thurs, then name practice (writing his name on dotted lines three times then by himself), and a "letterland" work sheet (basically thinking of 3-4 words from their lesson in the day that start with the letter for the day, eg tonights was S so he drew shoes, a snake, a swimming pool ect). It takes him 30min and he is just so not interested in it. Ive tried to work out when is best for him, after school, after dinner or before school. I find i have to push him to do it and it upsets us both.

I dont really think its age appropriate. Id prefer just reading and maybe name practice once or twice a week. As i said, im only new to it so i dont know if this is too much homework yet. At the moment im leaning towards not wanting him to have to do it. I think its compulsory though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am teaching a 3/4composite class this year, and only send homework home because parents expect it. I don't think it achieves anything except resentment.

Mind you, I only have four children so far who are turning in homework but if I stopped sending it, there would be uproar.

I hate it. Preparing it, marking it and hassling about it is the biggest waste of time in my job.