+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I never did homework in high school. We got it, and we were supposed to do about 4 hours of it a night. I never did that. The only time I did any work at home was when it was an assignment.

I still did very well in most subjects at school.
    Me too.

I got top in more than half of my subjects, scholarships to uni and was doing 2 uni papers during my last year.

I plan to be a parent who's in tune with my kids achievement in school, if they are struggling - we'll work on it, but I would never expect them to be doing 4 hours of homework a night, if they had so little aptitude for learning, I'd be looking at alternatives based around their passions.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-02-2013),beebs  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I never did homework in high school. We got it, and we were supposed to do about 4 hours of it a night. I never did that. The only time I did any work at home was when it was an assignment.

I still did very well in most subjects at school.
    Me too. I scored in the top 1% of the State in both English and Drama in my HSC, and the lowest mark I received for my other subjects was 79% in Biology (on account of I never went to that subject )

I found it extremely amusing when I took home my final report card from school, and my English teacher had written; "Shoopuf could improve her results dramatically if she focused on completing homework tasks."

Really?

Not everyone learns in the same way.

eta - even at Uni, I have never completed weekly exercises or unmarked tasks. I find them tedious and not worth my time. I'm yet to receive a mark lower than a HD, so I assume I am not missing much by not doing them.

I think it's important to remember that what may be beneficial to one child, may be a completely pointless exercise for another.
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 20-02-2013 at 12:07.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default More is not always more....

So.... the public school that my daughter did Kindy (Prep) in gave large amounts of homework: say 15 spelling words, 100 sight words, readers five days a week. Oh yes, and one assignment per term, making a diorama or a model and describe the process in an oral presentation.
    As a parent, I was pleased, and thought it was great although hard work: the diorama took six hours and many steps. It was absurdly beyond her capacity to do alone.
    Now at private (Catholic) school, there are NO stupid dioramas, and she gets four spelling words per week, but get this, they are her own unique spelling words. The words she can't already spell.
    From fifteen words she could already spell, to four words she can't, and must learn. Now THAT'S really smart.
    Oh yes, and readers and sentences and the like, but targeted learning, this is great.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you believe in homework?

My DS in prep and grade 1 has to give an oral presentation a week. Also a home reader five nights per week.

We have "sharing time" once per fortnight in Grade 2 now and its a retelling or investigation.

I find the expectations and tasks for the different schools interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    urgh!!! DS started homework this week. He has reading everynight with sounds "an, at, as, am" this week, then he has a work book with about 5 pages due in each friday, plus they each have a 'news day' so on tuesday he has a verbal presentation and fridays are library day.
    Im (???) lucky that DP likes homework because if I had to do all this... Well I wouldnt. Its freakin crazy the amount of homework a PP (5 years old) has!

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I think home work is a great idea in the early years ( can't comment on the later years my child is only in year two ) as it gives parents a great opportunity to see exactly how they are going with there school work and if you are seeing the same I activities you set up at home.

My daughter has home work that is for OT and PT that I or her therapist set for her, right now she is doing reading eggs for that as well as learning her letter formations on the colour grid paper we started on Victorian modern cursive re writing patterns with Peggy Lego but we are finding she has great difficulty with recognising the letters as the are not what we see n her day to day reading books I do with her so between me and the school and her therapists we made the decision to just do straight printing to make it easier for her ( she has cp and dyspraxia and border line ID ) now had we not bee doing work at home as well we wouldn't have bee able work out where exactly the problem lay. It was worked out because I noticed that In picking out letters on her flash cards we was having loads of trouble but then when reading her books and me sounding the words out for her ( she can't read as yet, well can a few words ) she was pointing out letters I the books it was then I and her ot realised that it was not her inability to recognise letters just to recognise modern cursive because she only really seen that during writing its not in any of her books, it's not on any signs or anything like that.

I think parents having to sign homework and reading is a good idea as well because that way the teachers can see whets being done as apose to when the kids are having to read it them selfs with no help,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This 100%, I would be absolutely happy if they tried their best. But I am not going to be making them stress out about it if it isn't their passion. We all learn in different ways, and we are all good at different things. Education is really important, but people learn in different ways. It is the one size fits all approach to education which worries me. Also the emphasis on Academia, yes it is so important, but so are the arts and music and whatever it is that my kids decide is what they want to be doing.

I was one of those kids, hated homework, school work, school in general the whole bit, didn't ever hand anything in, was a total waste of time for myself and my teachers, and still managed to coast through with good grades. I know first hand that the education system just does not work for some people, it is not about how smart you are, some people just don't learn well in that kind of environment. I wonder where I would be if I had just tried my best, or even, tried at all?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Me too.

I got top in more than half of my subjects, scholarships to uni and was doing 2 uni papers during my last year.

I plan to be a parent who's in tune with my kids achievement in school, if they are struggling - we'll work on it, but I would never expect them to be doing 4 hours of homework a night, if they had so little aptitude for learning, I'd be looking at alternatives based around their passions.

Thanks
    Reviews

I find the idea of homework an interesting one. On one level it can be worse than useless (as I remember from my schooling) on another it can be a fantastic way for parents to connect with their children's learning. I am a working mum, I get home between 6:30 and 7 four days a week. My partner also works. Our eldest is in Grade 1 at a Catholic School in QLD. Her teacher is absolutely bluddy fantastic. She gets what would be about 30 minutes per night for a child who does well enough, not at the top or bottom of the class. It takes DD approximately half that. I like it because I can see where she's at and I'm fairly academic and think formal education is important up to the end of high school. DP is not academic in the least and avoids any and all mention of schoolwork where he can. However busy we are and we have activities 4 days as well as two working parents as well as a 7;30 bedtime, homework gets done. I fail to understand parents who say they are "too busy" to at the very least listen to their child read for 5 minutes a day. That frustrates the hell out of me when I watched my mum do it for years and we now manage it just fine. So yes, I do believe in homework, provided it is appropriate to the age and skill of the child performing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

All those saying you did well without much study are just proving the point I guess - some people have it and some people don't.

Some people are naturally good at sport, some people are good at music, some people are good at school. We can't all be good at the same things. We can't be better than everyone at everything.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    All those saying you did well without much study are just proving the point I guess - some people have it and some people don't.

Some people are naturally good at sport, some people are good at music, some people are good at school. We can't all be good at the same things. We can't be better than everyone at everything.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I think it is absurd that, as a general rule, children are punished for not doing homework tasks.

Perhaps if a child 'has it' academically, a better use of their free time would be practising skills they don't yet have, rather than homework tasks.

But then it gets hard, because how do you tell some kids they have to do math homework, and others to practise catching a ball?

I have no problem with homework as a concept, as long as it isnt an unreasonable amount.

If only there were a practical way to tailor it to support the weaknesses of each student, rather than a blanket solution.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2013)