+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I don't agree with hours of homework, I think it puts too much pressure on the kids and parents. I would prefer to see a longer school day if more learning is required. When you are in the workforce you usually are not required to take work home with you so why should school kids.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Do you believe in homework?

The point of homework in the primary years though is not for extra learning- it is revision and reinforcement.

If your child is learning something new through homework, I would be having a quick chat with the teacher and asking the purpose. You are right- they go to school to learn, and then the homework is the reinforcement.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

babyla  (20-02-2013),lambjam  (20-02-2013),PomPoms  (20-02-2013),PR2bMum  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I don't see a difference between trying your best and being your best? As a teacher, all I hope for is that the kids have a go and try their best. I can't ask for more than that.

Sometimes people are better than us, no matter how hard we try, and that's ok.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2013),Benji  (20-02-2013),lambjam  (20-02-2013),PomPoms  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think a small amount of homework on school nights is fine - a reading book in the younger years, or a worksheet in primary school.

I don't agree with the amount of homework given in high school. My niece had a note sent home saying that it was expected that she do half an hour of homework each night for each subject. She has eight subjects, so that's 4 hours a night. By the time she gets home from school it is 4.30pm, then she's still got to have dinner etc. so even if she spent no time whatsoever with her family and did nothing but her homework she wouldn't be able to go to bed until 9pm.

I personally think that is far too much to expect of a 16 year old. I know people will argue that it is good preparation for Uni, but I am yet to experience a workload with either of my degrees which requires more than 6 hours per day of solid study.

All it does is make her feel inadequate when she can't achieve it.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-02-2013),beebs  (20-02-2013),LoveLivesHere  (20-02-2013),MissMuppet  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes. I do. I like to see and help my DS1 with his homework and see whats being taught at school that week. 10 minutes is enough though.

Home readers in prep and grade 1 were based on reading levels and my son got a sence of excitement when he would advance.

He's now in Grade 2 and home readers are chosen by them regardless of level.

They now also have a reading register. For every 500 minutes of reading, they go up a "star".

He is reading "Diary of a Wimpy Kid", and I'm so proud of him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    The point of homework in the primary years though is not for extra learning- it is revision and reinforcement.

If your child is learning something new through homework, I would be having a quick chat with the teacher and asking the purpose. You are right- they go to school to learn, and then the homework is the reinforcement.
    Exactly.

It is also a great opportunity to jog a childs memory about what they have been doing at school with parents - so you don't get the 'what did you do at school today?' - 'I dunno...'

I find this thread, in parts, to be in such contrast to the other thread - parents or school being the educators of children. My belief is that homework in the early years is part of that bridging process for schools, parents and communities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I think a small amount of homework on school nights is fine - a reading book in the younger years, or a worksheet in primary school.

I don't agree with the amount of homework given in high school. My niece had a note sent home saying that it was expected that she do half an hour of homework each night for each subject. She has eight subjects, so that's 4 hours a night. By the time she gets home from school it is 4.30pm, then she's still got to have dinner etc. so even if she spent no time whatsoever with her family and did nothing but her homework she wouldn't be able to go to bed until 9pm.

I personally think that is far too much to expect of a 16 year old. I know people will argue that it is good preparation for Uni, but I am yet to experience a workload with either of my degrees which requires more than 6 hours per day of solid study.

All it does is make her feel inadequate when she can't achieve it.
    Agreed, a little bit of homework is better I think. Not as many as high school seem to spew out.
    I remember a particular week in yr 10, where I came home with 4 assignments, 5 essays, a few work sheets and 2 book essays had to be done within the space of 4 days. I honestly lost my mind that week, and honestly didn't get it all done. English, French, Math and Science gave so much work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I do believe in homework. I think 15min for a Kindergarten and Yr 1 student, 30min for a Yr 2-4 student and 1hr for a yr5-6 student. For High School, I would think 2hrs would be sufficient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I never did homework in high school. We got it, and we were supposed to do about 4 hours of it a night. I never did that. The only time I did any work at home was when it was an assignment.

I still did very well in most subjects at school.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I despise homework.

I do believe it ONLY serves a purpose when revision of new information/processes etc have been taught in class and need to be reinforced at home/out of class almost as a test to see which kid absorbed thelesson. But I think 'projects' are a complete waste of time and become a competition as to whose parent can build the best diaorama/construct a volcano etc.

I get very angry when a project that will take more time and resources than I can afford are sent home. I HATE it when I am expected to go to 20 different shops/business looking for felt/paint blah blah to construct a project, build a windmill etc. I cannot, and NEITHER can my child construct the Taj Mahal out of toothpicks or redesign the Eiffel tower in lolly pop wrappers. The examples of these projects on display in schools on prove which kids have parents with engineering degrees or artistic brilliance.