+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Do you believe in homework?

Oh, and despite the fact that our results have slightly fallen internationally, we are still well in the top ten for reading and science and thirteenth for maths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I remember absolutely loving homework in primary school.
    Practicing, spelling, writing and saying 10 different words a week. Doing times tables.
    Reading a particular book. I only got a double sided page of homework. One side math, the other English. And receiving principle rewards for good handwriting and even presentation. (Colouring)
    High School, absolutely loathed it. Truly struggled with all the homework assigned.

I think homework is important, but I think overkill of homework, can be overwhelming, and if you fall behind or don't hand in homework on time, it can cause stress and in some teens low self esteem and depression.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Your child doesn't need to go to a selective school or a private school, and it shouldn't be the school's job to prepare your child for a selective school exam anyway.

Your interest in her learning and encouragement will be enough to get her through any high school.
    Your a teacher right? Do you think it's acceptable that kids in year five don't know how to work out 24x14?
    Please dont get me wrong I'm not blaming teachers they do a great job and the best they can under the circumstances but if you want your child up the top you need to put in the effort as a parent. That's all I mean.
    A teacher can not give individual attention to 25 kids, it's impossible.
    Now I'm sure there are kids out there who don't do homework and are up the top but my DD isn't one of those kids. We have to work at it.
    She understand that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Your a teacher right? Do you think it's acceptable that kids in year five don't know how to work out 24x14?
    Please dont get me wrong I'm not blaming teachers they do a great job and the best they can under the circumstances but if you want your child up the top you need to put in the effort as a parent. That's all I mean.
    A teacher can not give individual attention to 25 kids, it's impossible.
    Now I'm sure there are kids out there who don't do homework and are up the top but my DD isn't one of those kids. We have to work at it.
    She understand that.
    My point is that your daughter doesn't need a selective high school because you have shown an interest in her education.

Can your daughter do 24x14?

Thanks
    Reviews

PS I don't want my children "up the top" I just want them to do the best they can.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2013),PomPoms  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS I don't want my children "up the top" I just want them to do the best they can.
    I think this is my wish for my children. To be the best they can be. I am not worried where they are compared to the other children in the class. I can tell (most of the time) when they are doing their best and when they can't be bothered. I have times when I can't be bothered so I am not going to come down hard on them if it is every now and then. If it was all the time well then we would need to have a talk.

I have seen what pressure does to a teen who had pressure on them from primary school all the way through to later in high school. Burn out then is not pretty and I refuse to do that to my children.

The only reason my DD is doing her homework tonight is because she is scared of her teacher yelling at her. She said she has heard her yelling at other children in the class and the teacher scares her. So we had tears and yelling (at me) about her homework tonight which she did not seem to understand in any case. In my opinion being scared of her teacher should not be the point of her completing her homework.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My point is that your daughter doesn't need a selective high school because you have shown an interest in her education.

Can your daughter do 24x14?
    Yes she doesn't need to go to one but she has potential to be in one so why not try, why not do the best you can to prepare.
    Its like sport you have to work at it to get to where you want to be you can't say "I want to be a fast swimmer" and never practice.
    Anyway my point wasn't who can do what it was that there are kids being left behind and if school was enough they would all know it and they don't.
    They don't know simple maths and it's sad.
    And I never teach my kids to try their best. I teach them that to be the best you work like the best. Effort equals results. You can only do your best once you have put the effort in and worked at it. Rocking up and saying "oh we'll I didn't do well but I did my best" doesn't cut it. Your best is when you have prepared and practiced then you can say I tried my best.
    They are capable so why not.
    Anyhoo let's agree to disagree we all have our own ideas and parenting styles.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree with this. It makes me so proud when I know they have tried their best with something that they find difficult.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2013),PomPoms  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't read all the threads but I think homework is a great grounding for university and many jobs out there. Uni is completely self driven. No one questions you if you don't hand assignments in or they are late. It your choice so having homework introduced early prepares you for this. Many jobs require out of hours work, homework prepares for this. I think it can be over kill at times but at uni it would be normal to have 3 or 4 assignment s due in a weeks of a few thousand words each. Homework in a school environment prepares for the real world.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Can I ask, do you include reading as part of homework time, or is that extra?

As a kid my mum always read to us every night, and as we got older we would read out loud or read on our own at least half an hour, prob an hour when I got older before bed. I always got top marks for English from a young age and I really think it was because I read or was read to so much as a child.

I think maybe the problem with reading and comprehension levels is that perhaps parents are just too busy to read to kids at night time (and I understand that, life is a lot busier) so they don't get that grounding to develop their vocabulary and imagination from a young age.