+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recently came across a box of my old notebooks and text books from school and uni. I can't believe how much study I used to do, these books were completely full, and then for each year 12 subject I had an additional revision notebook where I wrote out all my notes again with colourful headings and diagrams to help it stick.

I certainly did do 3-4 hours study every night (often more, and usually lots on weekends too), and I actually remember it really fondly. I'm a massive nerd though

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Do you believe in homework?

My son just entered year three..

The amount of homework is insane! Spelling words, chores i hafto sign off on, exercise 4 times a week i hafto sign off on. A research module with pictures that needs to be presented to class each week. Activitys set by teacher on study ladder.com and then practicing cursive writing on the back page and home reader.... They get yelled at if they dont do it all. Plus then we need to do speech and occupational therapy work. My boy is in tears daily its a croc of shiz.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

spoon  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post

The amount of homework is insane! Spelling words, chores i hafto sign off on, exercise 4 times a week i hafto sign off on. A research module with pictures that needs to be presented to class each week. Activitys set by teacher on study ladder.com and then practicing cursive writing on the back page and home reader.... They get yelled at if they dont do it all. Plus then we need to do speech and occupational therapy work. My boy is in tears daily its a croc of shiz.
    Sounds very similar to my DD who has just gone into Year 3. She was upset on Sunday because school was the next day. The jump from Year 2 has been huge for her. Not slowly working up to it either just thrown at them. She is a mess at times (emotionally). I am glad she only has one activity a week at the moment on a MOnday afternoon so she can have the rest of the week to finish her homework off. She takes a book and does her 15 mins reading while her sister is doing her swimming lesson.

It is like sink or swim too bad. Well that is how it feels from my point of view.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

My DD is in Year 3 too and wow that's pretty full on for 8 yos. DD has a spelling list she must do 4 times a week, then chooses activities that change every week. Sometimes it's working on a project (she has her first ever this term), sometimes she skips with her rope 20 mins 2x week or plays an instrument.

So much pressure and work load for such little kids

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Its exactly that way cheri and my son lost his funding this year due to gov cuts so he is just not coping with any of it! They are giving the kids two news days in the week and it hasto be a recall of something they have sone during the week/weekend and my son is told constantly that his recall subject isnt good enough and he needs to come up with better and them was put down because he doesn't play a sport (which lots of other kids use as their subject) ffs my child has autism our activities are therapies and he is too embarrassed to talk about that!

Sorry to go off topic >_<

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-02-2013),spoon  (19-02-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Zombie Eyes, Id be talking to the teacher and telling her to jam it. Thats wayyyy too much homework IMO.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

spoon  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I guess it depends on your lifestyle too.

My son is also 8 and in Y3. School homework has not started yet (we get our first lot Wednesday)...but

he already exercises 4 times a week
    he already does a good deal of chores around the house

(so these would just be normal life)

he already does 20 minutes a day on a program called "luminosity" which is educational stuff (he does it when he eats his breakfast).

he reads every night at bedtime

so, the only additional work would be 2 activities and not a major problem.

I am pretty sure DS will get a decent amount of homework...he is in the extension classes and they get extra on top of class stuff.

We do get over the weekend though, which to us is essential! Can you space the work out a little more? Can you double up in some areas...like, can his therapy work be considered a "chore"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We sometimes get homework that is like, "Play a board game with your family."

I hate those ones, because they have a little space for me to sign, and I just sign it, even though we haven't always done it. Like I said earlier, I'm not home for homework most days of the week -boardgames are weekend things here, not after-school things and I HATE that the school thinks they should tell me when I should be doing these things with her. I can't. I'm working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Zombie, I would complain to the principal and explain that's it's all too overwhelming for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Way too much Zombie! My son is Grade 3 QLD and the homework is actually less than last yr and last yr had no where near that!