+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you believe in homework?

Have any of the people who oppose homework or support minimal homework seen the new national curriculum? It's phenomenal the amount of work that kids will need to power thru the year plus all the other PC rubbish that schools are forced to take over from parents.

Expect more homework in the next 5-10yrs whilst the dust settles from this roll out. this is especially true for QLD kids that were on a completely different system /curriculum.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-02-2013),Mahjong  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would be alright if the child actually knows what they are meant to be doing and it was consolidating work already learned at school!! Well I would be more okay with the amount of homework my child gets if this was the case.

For this week she has a few activities that she has no idea what they are. Rainbow facts, doubles and near doubles for maths. She then had language activity that was about high and low modality words for language. Now I don't think I am overly dumb, at uni I am getting distinctions and high distinctions but I have no idea what any of this is. I then had to google

I don't think I should be having to explain these to her. That should be her teacher's job. I don't know how to explain it, I am not a teacher.

Oh she has a whole heap of other homework for the week and fortnight, but this is just an example of some parts of her homework that she has no idea about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you believe in homework?

My ds is in Montessori daycare, 3-6 do a school day and he has learnt so much and completely at his own pace, I really wish he could continue with it, but its just not possible, they don't ask any more than helping kids to learn self care skills.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you believe in homework?

Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    At high school parents info night last week, we were told the expected homework was 1 and 1/2 hours a day for grade 8 and 9, 2 to 2 and 1/2 for grade 10, and 3 to 4 for grades 11 and 12.
    This!

I graduated on 2002 and this was the guideline for an average child. I found school very easy and finished the top of 5 of my 6 subjects.

I would have spent at most 1-2 hours in year 11-12 no all nighters and no cramming sessions for exams. Thus included assignment work.

Most of my peers however would have been spending easy 2-3 hours.

I still managed sport 3 days a week and travelled 1hr10min each way on the bus and was on the debating team. I never hit less than 8 hours sleep.

There was more than enough time in the day it was called organization. I'm a huge believer in homework from prep, I had it from grade 1 and now watch what my nephew is getting and think its imperative to consolidating school work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids go to Steiner and we love it. Our kids are leanring so much every day, but never ever do they feel pressured. They will not do homework at all whilst they are in primary school because their homelife is considered a vital part of their education.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spoon For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    **** no...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree with homework. DD does 45 min of homework a night (homework I provide for her) plus she reads in bed. (she enjoys reading)
    The homework she gets at school is a joke. It's like 5 or 10 min a night she does all her weeks homework on Monday in 30 min.
    My opinion is that if you want to excel you have to put in the effort.
    I expect my kids to be in the top of their class because they are capable of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do. DD has just started kindy and I can't wait for her to start bringing home readers and sight words. I think it will also be beneficial for me to see where she's at and where she might need help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Yes I agree with homework. DD does 45 min of homework a night (homework I provide for her) plus she reads in bed. (she enjoys reading)
    The homework she gets at school is a joke. It's like 5 or 10 min a night she does all her weeks homework on Monday in 30 min.
    My opinion is that if you want to excel you have to put in the effort.
    I expect my kids to be in the top of their class because they are capable of it.
    this is great. How old is your DD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    this is great. How old is your DD?
    Going to be 10 soon. In year 5.
    For the record I'm very proud of her and she does great. She enjoys doing it (most days).