+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Dont mind at all I figure DS get 6hrs at school to do school work. Also, if he doesnt take in the information in those 6hrs, forcing him to try cram more information in after school when he is tired is going to be pointless and just make him hate school.
    I think that's DD's position as well - she does enough during her day. She used to love reading but now it's a requirement she fights us. I can see how detrimental it can be. Trying to take a stress out of it but I can also see how much pleasure it gives her to be able to read to herself and she needs to practice to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is in Yr 2 this year.

Last year, he would have;
    a home reader
    10-15 spelling words which he was required to write out each night Monday through to Thursday
    Approx 4 pages of activities which maybe 4 activities on each.

This year, they have changed it slightly as a result of a new principle, now he has;
    An activity sheet. 4 boxes by 3 boxes= 12 boxes in total. The first 6 boxes are must do's- every night. Things like do 10min of physical activity, do a household chore/job, tell a parent 1 thing you learnt throughout the day, read to a parent for 10min.
    The next 6 are optional activities. He has to choose 2 of the optional activities per week to complete. Things like; get a parent to read you a book, write "18" three different ways, play a game with a parent (these will change from week to week).

Than he has a spelling sheet with 20 words and a list of activities. He has to write out the words each day, than choose 2 activities to do from the list per week. Things like; write a sentence using one of your spelling words, bounce a ball to each syllable in your spelling words, write your spelling words in shaving cream on the bathroom mirror, etc etc

Than he has a numeracy sheet with approx 20-25 math questions on them. He has to complete that over the week.

I actually like his homework this year. It incorpates day to day living and attempts to give them some control over their homework and a bit of variety. Some activites are....difficult (eg, the shaving cream one- MESSY!) but if you incorporate that one with the household job/chore than it's not so bad. Oh, and I like homework. As someone who I don't think was ever taught how to study- I struggled when I started Uni- I think it's as much about learning "HOW" to study rather than "WHAT".
    Last edited by SimplyMum; 18-02-2013 at 12:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son gets spelling and maths homework (aprox 2-4 pages) to be completed and handed in every friday and homereading everynight...he also got all this in prep. He LOVES doing homework and I also love seeing how he's comming along and learning.
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 18-02-2013 at 12:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Year 1 homework

My year one has a non compulsory reader every night. It takes her five minutes. Later on she might get some spelling words for us to go through, so maybe another five minutes.
    We do it at night after the little kids are in bed, and before I read her a story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A reader each night plus 15 spelling words a week (test on Friday morning). Mathletics each week. I loved homework and I think my year 1 and Prep (reader and sight words with a worksheet later in the year) get an appropriate amount.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We got 2 readers per week and an occasional worksheet or project/assignment.

Sight words were in kindy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies

DS has to do look cover write check Monday through Thursday, about 10 words and a reader every night.

The other 1/2 class get this and an activity sheet every night! Not sure why they are different. I like homework, thankfully it's only about 15 minutes or under every night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Year 1 they had reader each night and once a week homework sheet usually two small activities that take about 1/2 hour to complete.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ETA Homework is annoying but I think it slowly teaches kids to be more independent with their studying as when they reach highschool they will get a lot of work and of they don't complete it they can fail subjects.

I try to slowly allow the kids to be responsible once they hit grade 5 and only help them when they ask for help.

Regardless of me organising my SS11 for the past 5 years with his homework he still is really lazy when it comes to doing it on his own and remembering to take it to school.
    I am trying to teach him that if he forgets to it he will get a consequence from the teacher.
    I refuse to baby him through highschool, he needs to learn to be responsible for himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    SimplyMum - that sounds fantastic! I wish more schools/teachers did that kind of thing.