+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Year 1 homework

To thos parents who have a child in year 1 at school, can I ask what they have to do for homework each week? I just want to see what the average amount is. Thanks

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS didnt have any in year 1. He had a reading book but that was it. When he had read the book, he would take it back to school and swap it for another.

In year 2 he had a weekly homework sheet.

So far no homework yet this year for year 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nothing so far. We were told last week they will soon start bringing home a reading book and a home reading diary to complete each day. That's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had homework since the first day of school for my DD in year 1.

They have a reader, sight words (5 or 6) and to review a sheet on a letter that they had completed in school.

At the parent information evening they said no more than 10 mins each night from Monday -Thursday. If it is taking longer than that, or the child is getting frustrated consistently to talk to their teacher about it.

My DD is usually fine with it, although Thursday nights can be a little tense as she is tired.

Oh we have a one show and tell each week which is themed eg this week it is pick a number between 1-10 and tell the class five facts about that number. We usually do this on a Tuesday night so she can practise for her talk day. If the weekend before she is with me then we complete the talk on that weekend, but her Dad doesn't seem interested in helping them with their homework.

They sometimes have extra things to do, like last week to decorate a shoe box and bring in 3 photos inside the box as it will be a memory box. Later in the term they have to do a talk about one of the photos.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    DS didnt have any in year 1. He had a reading book but that was it. When he had read the book, he would take it back to school and swap it for another.

In year 2 he had a weekly homework sheet.

So far no homework yet this year for year 3.
    Oh I am so jealous about no homework in year 3. We had it first day and it seems like soooo much homework for them this year. It is a huge step up from Year 2 for my oldest DD. She was crying from lunchtime yesterday about having to go back to school today

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Oh I am so jealous about no homework in year 3. We had it first day and it seems like soooo much homework for them this year. It is a huge step up from Year 2 for my oldest DD. She was crying from lunchtime yesterday about having to go back to school today
    Thats so sad Im against alot of homework so even if DS gets alot I wont be making him do it and will inform the teacher of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 has a reader given out each Monday and it is returned Friday of that week.
    He also has a homework sheet which has about 10-12 sight words and two or three other activites, one of these activites involves numeracy. He also has a set of 12 other words (based on the sound they are learning that week) which have to be written out 4 times. Not including the reader it is about 10 minutes or less of work from Monday night through Thursday night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Thats so sad Im against alot of homework so even if DS gets alot I wont be making him do it and will inform the teacher of it.
    Do you mind me asking why? I'm still 50/50 on the whole homework thing TBH. I was very studious and academic as a child but I'm not sure DD1 is so am trying to restrain my inner nerd and be more go with the flow, but I was honestly a child who thrived on homework.

Sorry to hijack.

DD1 was similar to Cheerilee - readers initially (one per night) then sight words from term 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Do you mind me asking why? I'm still 50/50 on the whole homework thing TBH. I was very studious and academic as a child but I'm not sure DD1 is so am trying to restrain my inner nerd and be more go with the flow, but I was honestly a child who thrived on homework.

Sorry to hijack.
    Dont mind at all I figure DS get 6hrs at school to do school work. Also, if he doesnt take in the information in those 6hrs, forcing him to try cram more information in after school when he is tired is going to be pointless and just make him hate school.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We were informed this morning a home reader will come home every night of the week, a weekly homework sheet plus sight words ... starting this week.