+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Atropos the vaccine in question, fluvax, has been confirmed as having a moderately higher risk of adverse effect - that's confirmed by the manufacturer and available on their site/vaccine insert.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is a higher risk of adverse reaction to this vaccine, in that, 10% of people may have swelling & redness and 64% will have pain at the site of injection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Flu Vaccine While Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Atropos the vaccine in question, fluvax, has been confirmed as having a moderately higher risk of adverse effect - that's confirmed by the manufacturer and available on their site/vaccine insert.
    I did say "generally" Also I was referring to acute reactions. And looking at their insert online it is quite moderate.
    Last edited by Atropos; 18-02-2013 at 14:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I didn't get it. The anecdotal evidence against it was enough for me to decide I didn't want to risk it. It is also recommended because it offers some protection for your baby after they are born, but it just felt wrong for me.
    "Anecdotal evidence "... Not good saying that ... When there isn't any .. Absolutely fine to go with what feels best for you ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    There is a higher risk of adverse reaction to this vaccine, in that, 10% of people may have swelling & redness and 64% will have pain at the site of injection.
    Yep, hardly acute adverse reactions. I wish they wouldn't count such minor things, it's an injection, you expect pain and redness. It really can skew data.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Generally, the risk of an acute adverse reaction like you have described is less than one in a million. As I mentioned earlier, a couple of thousand people due of flu each year in Australia.
    During peak times I would hazard a guess that you have a greater chance of being exposed to the flu itself. When you are pregnant the flu can cause major health problems for the mother and the baby, including miscarriage/preterm labour. We each have to assess the risks for ourselves, most definitely.
    I disagree with the one in a million, purely because of the number of people I know who were hospitalised at the same time as my friend last year. The doctor told me while I was visiting that they were overwhelmed with the number of people requiring hospitalisation after a reaction to the flu shot. He mentioned a 'bad batch', but really? How are you going to know you are getting a good batch?

FWIW, I had the flu last year which lead to a bad case of pneumonia. I was sick. Really, truly sick. I never, ever want to get the flu again. I still would not get the flu shot while pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A lot of the time it actually has to do with who gave the needle and how good they are at injections. I just had DTaP and that is notorious for being painful, didn't even feel painful when I pressed on where I had the injection, it was just nothing. Had no reactions at all.

Yep, hardly acute adverse reactions. I wish they wouldn't count such minor things, it's an injection, you expect pain and redness. It really can skew data.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by schmetterling18 View Post
    I disagree with the one in a million, purely because of the number of people I know who were hospitalised at the same time as my friend last year. The doctor told me while I was visiting that they were overwhelmed with the number of people requiring hospitalisation after a reaction to the flu shot. He mentioned a 'bad batch', but really? How are you going to know you are getting a good batch?

FWIW, I had the flu last year which lead to a bad case of pneumonia. I was sick. Really, truly sick. I never, ever want to get the flu again. I still would not get the flu shot while pregnant.
    I did say "generally" and was referring to all vaccines in general. It's possible there was a bad batch, I don't know where you were or anything like that. Was the doctor able to confirm that it definitely was caused by this vaccine? Or was he just making an off the cuff correlation? Who knows. Out of curiosity, how many people did you know personally that were hospitalised due to the vaccine?

Even if the odds were 10 in a million or 100 in a million chance of an acute reaction, that still wouldn't equal the 2000 that actually die of influenza each year here.

As I said, we make our own risk assessments.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did say "generally" and was referring to all vaccines in general. It's possible there was a bad batch, I don't know where you were or anything like that. Was the doctor able to confirm that it definitely was caused by this vaccine? Or was he just making an off the cuff correlation? Who knows. Out of curiosity, how many people did you know personally that were hospitalised due to the vaccine?

Even if the odds were 10 in a million or 100 in a million chance of an acute reaction, that still wouldn't equal the 2000 that actually die of influenza each year here.

As I said, we make our own risk assessments.
    I know one personally. The Dr knew that the cases he spoke of were directly related the the vaccine (I remember there being a few news reports on this at the time as well). The husband of my friend became acquainted with others at the hosptial who also experienced reactions and required rehab - there was no question about the cause being the vaccine (by their families or by medical professionals), and is still in touch with them. My friend's reaction was almost instant.. she was on life support by nightfall the day she was vaccinated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mothers who are pregnant and contract flu have twice the risk of having an autistic child and if they have a fever for longer than a week it goes up to 3 times the risk.

It is all about our own individual risk assessment.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/252683.php

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (18-02-2013),littlelove  (19-02-2013)