+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think I've ever actually had the flu, and I've only ever had the flu vax once because it was offered at work.

However if I was to have another baby (touch wood!) I would definitely get vaccinated. Watching what it did to one of the women in my DIG last time around was terrifying. The outcome was fine (she and baby got through it) but it was so very, very close to going horribly wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do understand why people get the flu vaccination, it was always just a personal choice not to. I guess because I've never been in the 'high risk' group before (elderly, low-immune) I've just never really given it much thought.

Now that I do need to consider it, I guess I'm just looking for reliable and un-biased info about it. Like Nicole83 said above, there have been so many instances in the past where we've been told something is perfectly safe (thalidomide, cigarrettes, asbestos) then are told years later that it's actually not safe. By 'pro-vax' biased websites I guess I meant websites that are afilliated with the companies who make the vaccines...as obviously they will want to tell the world their product is safe.

I'm certainly not a 'conspiracy nutter' haha, and am not a paranoid person, I just like to be informed about decisions I make, especially now that I have a little one to think of... I just want to make sure that I try to do what's best.

There is a risk associated with everything, I wish there was just a nice easy comparison table somewhere that clearly set out the risk rating for and against, so that I could easily make up my mind! I think I will get the shot, but that I will talk to my GP and do some research into ones that are considered 'safer', rather than just going along with the one at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There used to be exactly that, a nice graph that showed how many side effects there are compared with how many complications there are with diseases. I wish I could find it, but I haven't been able to for awhile. Atropos might know where it is??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flu Vaccine While Pregnant

I had it while pregnant and never got sick. I usually end up with bronchitis being an asthmatic but didn't after having the vac.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Isn't the flu vax now banned for children under 5? It freaks me out putting into the body of a tiny unborn baby. That's just my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, it's such a controversial issue and everyone has their own opinion. I struggled big time with the decision to have the shot while pregnant or not.

I was around 16 weeks and had been getting sick frequently (not the flu at that stage but colds etc). I teach 4-5 year olds and the flu was going around my classroom, and it was bad. Some children were hospitalised. I have a cr** immune system at the best of times but until around 23 weeks I was sick ALL the time.

I looked at the research and spoke to several doctors on the impact of fevers/flu in pregnancy and decided FOR ME the best thing was to have the shot. Again, many will disagree and I am not going to enter into a pro and con debate, this was the best decision for me personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Isn't the flu vax now banned for children under 5? It freaks me out putting into the body of a tiny unborn baby. That's just my opinion.
    Yes it is- but getting vaccinated while utd is not the same as vaccinating a foetus.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not get it while pregnant. I am generally pro-vax, but I wouldn't risk it with the flu vax.

I am very close to one lady (she is in my mother's group), who was only discharged from hospital for weekend visits home over Christmas. This was after recieving the flu vax last year, in I think April. They were not sure whether she would ever walk again, and has had to learn to talk again, too. For many months they believed she would be severely brain damaged (she is thankfully not). Before getting the vax she was a full-time lawyer and a mother of a then 2 year old boy and TTC her second child. She was not the only person in her hospital last winter with flu vax related issues. There may be no 'nasties' as previous posters were suggesting, but nothing will convince me that the flu vax is safe for everyone. That is clearly not the case, and not something I would take a chance with while pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yes it is- but getting vaccinated while utd is not the same as vaccinating a foetus.
    But obviously the baby gets some of it?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by schmetterling18 View Post
    I would not get it while pregnant. I am generally pro-vax, but I wouldn't risk it with the flu vax.

I am very close to one lady (she is in my mother's group), who was only discharged from hospital for weekend visits home over Christmas. This was after recieving the flu vax last year, in I think April. They were not sure whether she would ever walk again, and has had to learn to talk again, too. For many months they believed she would be severely brain damaged (she is thankfully not). Before getting the vax she was a full-time lawyer and a mother of a then 2 year old boy and TTC her second child. She was not the only person in her hospital last winter with flu vax related issues. There may be no 'nasties' as previous posters were suggesting, but nothing will convince me that the flu vax is safe for everyone. That is clearly not the case, and not something I would take a chance with while pregnant.
    Generally, the risk of an acute adverse reaction like you have described is less than one in a million. As I mentioned earlier, a couple of thousand people due of flu each year in Australia.
    During peak times I would hazard a guess that you have a greater chance of being exposed to the flu itself. When you are pregnant the flu can cause major health problems for the mother and the baby, including miscarriage/preterm labour. We each have to assess the risks for ourselves, most definitely.