+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nothing proven, but enough to make me decide I wasn't comfortable with it. Its mainly people feeling that it may have caused miscarriage. This is completely just based on my feeling and feel it was the right decision for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

As someone pointed out the difference between colds and flus, I think I am actually getting colds, as I can still function but just feel lousy (plus the usualy congestion and cough).

I'm in two minds as I don't like to take medication unless it's necessary. I'm pro-vax for childhood diseases, have had the gardasil vax, etc...but think a lot of medications are unecessary when there are natural alternatives...

BUT I know a lady who contracted swine flu while pregnant and ended up in a coma for a few weeks. Luckily the baby survived, but was quite premmie, and was in NICU for a long time.

Argh! So hard to know what is the best thing to do, as it's so hard to get reliable research info. So many website seem to have either a pro-vax or anti-vax agenda, it's been hard to find un-biased info.

I'll look at some of the links posted and talk to my GP too, see if I can find a 'pregnancy friendly' vax...

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    It is recommended during pregnancy. Here is an interesting article about it. http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...e_but_flu_isnt

Just read this, very informative and interesting, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Flu Vaccine While Pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by peanut42 View Post
    They have a lot of heavy metals and other horrible nasties in them. ]
    No, they do not have a lot of heavy metals in them. What "nasties" are you referring to?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know what you mean by biased pro vax websites? Science is not biased, it is fact. You can look up the adverse events website, which is what I do, and compare that with the likely hood of adverse events following a VPD. http://www.tga.gov.au/safety/daen.htm

Sounds like you have been getting colds/viruses. You would know if you had the flu as you wouldn't be able to do anything.

It is really one of those things isn't it, you may never get the flu, but you might. You just have to go with whatever choice makes you feel comfortable. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Flu Vaccine While Pregnant

OP the flu vax is recommended for pregnant women, might be an idea to chat to your GP about it.

Just in answer to what you said about not understanding why we get this vaccine, did you know that on average, a couple of thousand people die each year from flu in Australia? I get my vax because I dread ever catching the flu again, I had it almost 9 years ago and it was horrendous, but also because I do t want to inadvertently pass it on, especially knowing it can be fatal.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am pro vax but wont be getting the shot. Never had the vaccine, most likely never will get the vaccine.
    Ive only had the flu once and that was last year and it completely knocked me on my butt for a few weeks. Couldnt function at all. Nobody else in my house got it. I figure once in 28yrs are good odds and its not worth me getting the vaccine.

Like I said, I am pro vax BUT I did not get my child to have the flu vax and wont be getting this baby flu vaxed. Just personal choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP - I totally understand where you are coming from. When I fell pregnant with my DD in 2009 I decided not to get the flu vaccine. Our work also provides it free of charge and I had been getting it every year prior.

I didn't know if there was anything harmful towards the baby in the vaccine or not, but time and time again we have been told something is safe to later find out it isn't. So I took the risk.

Instead, I decided to keep antibacterial hand gel on my desk, in the car and in my handbag and be vigilent in sanitising my hands after I used lifts, touched stair rails, before I ate my lunch, after I got back to my desk after visiting the toilets etc etc. These habits have now stuck with me. I think it just helps if you try your best to have good hygine which helps avoid contracting any nasties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Flu Vaccine While Pregnant

I am 23 weeks and I will be getting the flu vac. I had the actual flu in august last year and I was sick for over 6 weeks with it and i had what the dr called 'the hundred day cough' which hung around for a couple of months after the flu symptoms stopped. It was awful and I can't imagine how much worse it would be to get whilst pregnant. I never want to get the flu again.

My youngest son is also asthmatic and had a shocking immune system so the best way for us to keep him healthy is for DH and I to have the flu vac, reduce the chances of him catching it off us.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were me, I would wait until after I'd had the baby. Fluvax was the vaccine associated with "moderately higher" risk of adverse side effects (in 2010) than the general reported adverse side effect. Personally the chance of flu during pregnancy vs chance of adverse effect would weigh against the vax for me.