+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Flu Vaccine While Pregnant

Hi all,

Hope I've got this in the right section! I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with my first. My work is offering a free flu vaccination in a month's time, and I'm debating whether or not to get it?

As a bit of backgorund. I get the flu 2-3 times every year, without fail. This is despite having a great diet, taking vitamins and a probiotic. I have an allergy to dustmites and mild asthma, so I think this is why I get it every year...my respiratory system is sensitive.

I'm generally pro-vax, but have never seen the point in the flu shot and have never had one before. I know it's officially reccomended for pregnant women due the risks of if you get a fever, and because your immune system is already lowered. BUT, I have just been reading into it, and am concerned about the use of ethyl-mercury in the vaccination and its possible effects on fetal development....

Does anyone have any links to reputable websites with research on this topic?

Would you / have you got the vaccine while pregnant?

Did you/your baby have any effects from it (whether suspected or confirmed)?

Many thanks,
    Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got it while pregnant i was 14wks and the doc told me it was safe and i had no problems my son is now 2.5yrs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happy86 For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is recommended during pregnancy. Here is an interesting article about it. http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...e_but_flu_isnt

Thanks
    Reviews

I remember being told I had to have the swine flu vaccine when pregnant a couple of years ago and I ended up having a miscarriage! I never questioned it at the time, but now I'm not so sure as I have never had any issues with any of my pregnancies and I now have four children! I'm very cautious when it comes to vaccines. They have a lot of heavy metals and other horrible nasties in them. Here's a link on vaccines but more about our children's vaccines! I really think its like the luck of the draw with vaccines!

http://www.**********.com.au/baby/question-vaccinations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Horrible nasties like what??

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    OP - do you get colds or flus because they are 2 different things. The flu is similar to a particularly bad cold but you will be absolutely bed ridden and usually ache from head to toe and not want to move. The flu vaccine vaccinates against I believe 4 of the strands of flues that are expected to be the ones to hit Australia during the flu season. It won't protect you against colds or strands of flu that it hasn't included. When I was pregnant with DD it was free for pregnant women because it also contained the swine flu vaccine and there were instances where pregnant women who had contracted swine flue had miscarried, hence it was recommended for all pregnant women to received the flu vaccination.

I'm pro-vax by the way. In the last few years I've got the flu vax for myself because there are many instances where if I get a cold or flu then it will trigger a post nasal drip and I will have a nasty cough for the next 6 months or I will end up contracting bronchitis or other respiratory infections all of which mean I have the 'pleasure' of coughing up large chunks of green goo for days if not weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am getting it next month .. I will be around 23 weeks ..
    no ifs or buts here!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't get it. The anecdotal evidence against it was enough for me to decide I didn't want to risk it. It is also recommended because it offers some protection for your baby after they are born, but it just felt wrong for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I didn't get it. The anecdotal evidence against it was enough for me to decide I didn't want to risk it. It is also recommended because it offers some protection for your baby after they are born, but it just felt wrong for me.
    What evidence ?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I got it while pregnant, I did a lot of research at the time and found that there were two brands that were considered the safest to give to pregnant women, and I had this confirmed by King Edward women's hospital.

So, I would not line up with the cattle call at work, I would visit your GP and get given the specific one recommended for pregnant women.