+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mathew Newton - Bully or Mental illness sufferer?

Quote Originally Posted by Leahmaree View Post
    Having a personality disorder means he has a mental illness. He has a mental illness. He's anti-social and a narcissist. He also has a drug and alcohol problem. Agreed he makes it hard for those who struggle with the stigma of mental illness, I just hope people can see he's an exception not the rule.
    Actually a personality disorder is technically not a mental illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But it should be shouldn't It? Aren't psychopathy, narcissism and BPD all considered personality disorders? And if they are, why aren't they considered mental illness? What about serial killers who are psychopathic - why is that not considered mental illness? It makes no sense to me at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    But it should be shouldn't It? Aren't psychopathy, narcissism and BPD all considered personality disorders? And if they are, why aren't they considered mental illness? What about serial killers who are psychopathic - why is that not considered mental illness? It makes no sense to me at all!!
    I always was under the assumption that they were MI's. Obviously I was wrong, it makes no sense to me either.

Either way it doesn't change the fact the man carries on like a twit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Personality disorder and it's many sub headings like narcissistic and borderline are part of the DSM which psychologists and psychiatrists use to diagnose. So yes a Personality Disorder is classed as a mental illness.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-02-2013),Leahmaree  (19-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

It is, it's in the dsm IV as a mental disorder. Almost half of all psychiatric patients have a diagnosed pd, making it the most frequently diagnosed illness.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not here to argue with you, but pd's are in the DSM 4 as mental disorders, but are not mental ILLNESSES. Do you see the difference? Someone with depression or schizophrenia has a medically diagnosable illness. Someone with a pd has a disorder not an illness. Now this is a little contentious, however in aus, psychiatrists agree currently that a pd is not a mental illness, it is one extremely along a range of personalities.

You can't get off a murder charge by proving you have antisocial pd. you can get off by having schizophrenia.

Thanks
    Reviews

*extremity*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not here to argue with you, but pd's are in the DSM 4 as mental disorders, but are not mental ILLNESSES. Do you see the difference? Someone with depression or schizophrenia has a medically diagnosable illness. Someone with a pd has a disorder not an illness. Now this is a little contentious, however in aus, psychiatrists agree currently that a pd is not a mental illness, it is one extremely along a range of personalities.

You can't get off a murder charge by proving you have antisocial pd. you can get off by having schizophrenia.
    There is no difference between disorder and illness. They all fall outside the range of normal mental functioning...

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

He disgusts me. I dont think he is geniune at all... And he has a giant noggin like his father

Thanks
    Reviews

There's plenty of people in the psychiatric forensic facility here who only have a personality disorder. The dsmIV categorises into disorders and disabilities.