+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 7 week old wont sleep constant feeding all of a sudden.

my 7 week old ds just went from sleeping thru the night 7pm-6am to waking every 2hrs (which he has never ever done to us before at night), very unsettled tho not crying just grizzling, feeding pathetically (falling asleep on boob and taking an hour) and it was taking us over 2hrs to get him bak to sleep - but only for him to sleep for 2hrs. DH topped him up with EBM after i fed him which he'd drink, burp, fart ect but still be unsettled. It still took 2hrs to get him to sleep.
    We have been thru a growth spurt at 6weeks and it almost killed me. Do they have ANOTHER one a week later?!?!?!
    Right now i feel like i dont have enough milk as yesterday he was feeding less than 2hrly all day and then again thru the night. So i am pumping after feeds again today to try nd keep up with his demand - which is exhausting me even more. if i dont pump, i wont keep the supply he needs. ive been thru that before.
    im sick of everything being about my milk supply, im so over it and sometimes think formula would just be easier. We were doing so well with breastfeeding untill yesterday/lastnight/today.

This morning he's no different - waking after half hr for another feed (which was only an hr ago. He will fall asleep while feeding but wont actually go to sleep when i put him to bed or try and rock him to sleep. i have a 2yr old to deal with so this constant feeding and no sleeping is realy not working for me.
    i dont know what's going on with my usually "easy" newborn!

It also doesnt help that he wont take a bottle from me (he screams) so i dont get a break when dh isnt home.
    i also doubt anyone will reply to this beacause i should just "go with th flow, this is typical newborn behaviour, if hes gaining weight and has wet nappies hes fine, probably silent reflux (if i get that one more time i swear i will scream, hes not a reflux/colicy baby!!!!! my dd was and i know what it is like!!!. Anothr grth spurt (lucky me), wonder week- pffffttt what a load of b.s "wonder" weeks are.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 18-02-2013 at 08:22.

Thanks
    Reviews

Their growth spurt at the 6-8 week mark can apparently last 2 - 3 weeks (so Robyn Barker author of Baby Love says) good luck, I hope you can wait it out without the formula, but if not, don't be hard on yourself - it's such a difficult time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    unfortunately no help. we dont live close to family and any friends i have are working or unreliable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    Their growth spurt at the 6-8 week mark can apparently last 2 - 3 weeks (so Robyn Barker author of Baby Love says) good luck, I hope you can wait it out without the formula, but if not, don't be hard on yourself - it's such a difficult time!
    are you serious??!!! 2-3 weeks??!! yep, he's gonna kill me then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it hot where you are? Its been 30-35 degrees here the last few days, maybe he's really thirsty, or just unsettled coz its hot? It is pretty unusual for a seven week old to be sleeping 11 hours straight so, as much as you hate hearing it, and I KNOW how difficult it is, his behaviour is probably pretty 'normal'.

I know that doesn't make it any easier to cope with though.

My only advice would be that when he wakes up, actually sit up and feed him, when he falls asleep a minute into the feed, keep waking him up so he has a REALLY good feed, and hopefully it'll help him sleep a bit longer.

Hope things get better

Thanks
    Reviews

Hopefully it'll be over soon! Your probably past the hump already (fingers crossed!) I have been reading up as my 2nd bub is just 3 weeks old and it's been a while (5 years) since my first! hoping for a better sleeper this time too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my poor dd has spent an hr in a dirty nappy and stll in pj's (as am i) because ive been stuck with ds ALL MORNING. if i put him to bed, 2mins later he is screamimg. so between settling, marathon feeding, pumping afterwards and trying to get a bottle into him for a top up (impossible), dd has just been left. ds isnt interested in some floor time, his awake time is spent on my boob.
    Thank goodness dd in a good mood today. ive just left yoghurt and a few snacks on her table and she's been helping herself, entertaining herself... god love her.
    ive just let ds fall asleep on the boob right now - im so tired. i dont want to hear him crying/grizzling anymore, ive had enough. dd is yet again left to play without me but while i just watch on.
    wish my hot cuppa sitting out in the kitchen would magically come to my hand. it will be the 4th one that's gone cold and untouched today.

i do realise a 6 week old sleeping thru thru the night is almost unheard of and i did question it. He started sleeping thru gradually, waking less and less untill he woke and only had half a feed before he came off and fell asleep again, the following night and the net 4 nights he didnt even stir once. i thought i had hit the jackpot with this one!
    i just didnt expect it to turn like this, so hard and demanding, so quickly. He's like a different baby yet im doing all the same things i was doing before.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 18-02-2013 at 09:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you got a sling/carrier you can wear him in? He might sleep if he's on you and at least you can go and get your hot drink!

Hope he settles for you soon, I feel your pain x 89 0000

Thanks
    Reviews

Is your bub going through a "wonder week"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Have you got a sling/carrier you can wear him in? He might sleep if he's on you and at least you can go and get your hot drink!

Hope he settles for you soon, I feel your pain x 89 0000
    i do, it was a lifesaver for the growth spurt last week and it does put him to sleep for about an hr but it's 35 here today and we just get so sweaty and yuck - i just dont think its a good idea in hot weather. plus he's a heavy 6kgs!
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 18-02-2013 at 09:57.